Film Club

Options
Bydand1980
Bydand1980 Member Posts: 35
edited 5. Mar 2013, 15:27 in Community Chit-chat archive
I like the book club thread but didn't see one for films so here we go, a place to talk about what we've been watching or what we would like to see.

It can be from cinima, dvd, online or tv or pretty much anywhere or even something you would like to see made into a film.
A good site for checking out film info is http://www.imdb.com/

I'll start with A Cat In Paris.
It's a really cute French animation (in both English or French) about a young girl who's pet cat lives a secret double life at night as the sidekick to a cat-burgler. The girls mother is a police dectective looking into a series of thefts and when the girl falls into the hands of evil gangsters, the cat and his burgler friend come good and save the day!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I hardly ever watch them these days except when in the US as their TV is so bad. My favourite ever film is probably the classic Oh What a Lovely War, closely followed by Life of Brian. (I have an eclectic taste :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • newbygran
    newbygran Member Posts: 96
    Options
    I have just returned to going to the cinema, pension day tuesday morning cup of tea, biscuit and a ticket, all for £4; the loud, sound track was made worse by my tinitus, but saved by a ball of cotton wool shoved in the ears Bliss :) the film was Les Mis, brilliant, I wont tell you the plot, :D
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    I hardly ever watch them these days except when in the US as their TV is so bad. My favourite ever film is probably the classic Oh What a Lovely War, closely followed by Life of Brian. (I have an eclectic taste :lol: )

" He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!' classic line- you got to love those Python boys!

Love Kate x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Just saw After Marion and dawled my way through it :oops: :cry:

on the same lines as The choir :D

Great idea bydand :D

love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    katekelly wrote:
    " He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!' classic line- you got to love those Python boys!

Love Kate x

I do :) Loads of classic stuff in that film.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Bydand1980
    Options
    My favourite ever film is probably the classic Oh What a Lovely War, closely followed by Life of Brian.
    I vaguely recall Oh What A Lovely War but I think it was a long time ago that I seen it.
    Life of Brian is just simply genius!!

I love Les Mis newbygran, I love the book, love the stage show and the 25th anniversary show at the O2 was immense but the film seems to jar a bit for me. It is a totally amazing story though and you can't helpbut shed a tear or two at the end, and at a few other bits. Every time I see it the hairs stand up on the back of my neck every time they get to Do You Hear The People Sing!!!!!

Toni, is The Choir the same as the French film Les Choristes?
  • frogmorton
    Options
    My youngest saw Le Mis this very week down in London with the school - she loved it :)

The choir isn't the same film Bydand, BUt that one sounds good too - is it?

This Quartet is about an old people's home for retired musicians - most of the cast really ARE retired musicians too! Dopey me calling it the choir :oops:

Love

Toni xx
  • katekelly
    Options
    I like all types of films -from comedy through to musicals through to epics. Disney ones are great for their innocence and escapism. Love Gladiator for it's story (and Russell Crowe!) :oops: Forest Gump is amazing. Not into really heavy films though -they make my head ache. I like uplifting Films that give me a bit of relief for a couple of hours.

Love Kate x
  • Bydand1980
    Options
    It is a great film! A lot of the films that I really like are the ones that really delve into humanity and into characters. I like a lot of European films for that reason,they generally don't have the budgets of the big American studios to blow things up all the time so the stories really do have to be good to sell the films. It's also great for language practice!!

What I do hate with a passion is dubbed films! While I lived in DK I was staying near the German border for a while so we got German TV. I had the strange experience of watching an Australian in an American film trying to be a Scotsman dubbed in German!! :shock: I'll let you make up your own mind on that one!!! :lol:
    This Quartet is about an old people's home for retired musicians - most of the cast really ARE retired musicians too! Dopey me calling it the choir :oops:
    That's the one with Billy Connolly! It's great!
    I do like films with a musical theme as well, films like Allegro, Amadeus and Spinal Tap!
    I like uplifting Films that give me a bit of relief for a couple of hours.
    I know what you mean Kate, nothing like watching Shrek or School of Rock (another music film!) to pass a couple of hours with a bit of a laugh!
    What comedians do you like?
  • katekelly
    Options
    Bydand1980 wrote:
    It is a great film! A lot of the films that I really like are the ones that really delve into humanity and into characters. I like a lot of European films for that reason,they generally don't have the budgets of the big American studios to blow things up all the time so the stories really do have to be good to sell the films. It's also great for language practice!!

What I do hate with a passion is dubbed films! While I lived in DK I was staying near the German border for a while so we got German TV. I had the strange experience of watching an Australian in an American film trying to be a Scotsman dubbed in German!! :shock: I'll let you make up your own mind on that one!!! :lol:
    That's the one with Billy Connolly! It's great!
    I do like films with a musical theme as well, films like

Allegro, Amadeus and Spinal Tap!
    I like uplifting Films that give me a bit of relief for a couple of hours.
    I know what you mean Kate, nothing like watching Shrek or School o
    Rock (another music film!) to pass a couple of hours with a bit of a laugh!
    What comedians do you like?

Hiya,

I love all different types of comedians and have seen quite a few live. I love Billy Connolly and Rhod Gilbert as they are more 'story tellers'. I was brought up on Peter Sellers and The Goons along with Tony Hancock. Always liked Python but preferred them usually when they did their own thing (Fawlty Towers, Ripping Yarns etc). I've seen Sarah Millican and she was funny and even Frankie Boyle although he can be very foul mouthed and a bit too close to the Mark at times. But at the moment I really love Mrs Browns Boys. We went to see the show live and it was basically the same as series 1 but it was hilarious. I have watched series 1&2 on DVD til I know them by heart and still laugh til my sides ache. The star Zbrendan O'Carroll tried chatting my Mammy up many years ago in a bar after one of his shows and my Mammy says the only problem with the show now is that a lot of the material used now is the same as 20 years ago!! I don't care it just shows it stands the test of time.

Sorry I seem to have gone off the thread of films a bit. Like good comedy films too. Love 'The Italian Job'. That could be cos of the Mini's or Michael Caine. I love him because he reminds me so much of my Dad. Loved The Blues Brothers, Animal House, Ferris Beullah's Day Off and Beetlejuice.

So many to choose from!

Love Kate x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    erm.....clears throat.....

methinks our Kate likes being entertained :D
  • newbygran
    Options
    films I could watch over and over again, Norman Wisdom in The Early Bird, (milkman) Life Of Brian, (not the massiah), Bullshot Crumond, (inept ace pilot) Ferris Bueller's Day Off, yes I love comedy films, :lol::D:lol: Laural and Hardy, great favourites far to many to name, What's everybody's favourite film of all time, :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm not a film buff but these are ones I have happily watched more than once.

Some Like it Hot.

Truly, Madly, Deeply.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Mama Mia.

Casablanca.

DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    When the wind blows is a great film. Obviously life of Brian is a classic as is Clockwise (John cleese). Seen Quadrophenia a billion times :roll: but still a fave.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Oooh, well done for suggesting this. Funnily enough I was thinking of doing it myself and forgot!!

I have lovefilm so watch loads of odd films - it's like the library to me in as much as I can try a film and if I don't like it it just goes back!

I was born in 76 so my favourite films tend to be all those rubbish 80s ones. The ones I watch all the time when I am cooking etc are like
    Bill and Ted's
    Dirty Dancing
    Sleepless in Seattle
    School of Rock

The Shawshank Redemption is a great film I think, it is one of the Stephen King books that works as a film.

We watched Drive last week. We both really enjoyed it. It was a bit odd, sort of quiet for a fairly violent film. I also watched Winter's Bone the week before. That was a quiet film too but I enjoyed it.

Maybe I will get some good ideas off here of films to put on my list for my recovery period?
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Good idea Frogmella

you can just relax and let the films 'take you away' :D

Did you like the breakfast club? I loved that film :?

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    Yes, I did! I bought a few 80s films in bulk last year and the breakfast club was amongst them. As well as Ferris Bueler, Pretty in Pink and St Elmo's Fire! I think the 80s lot just say "comfort" to me. They don't make films like that anymore! I'm sure some would say that that was no bad thing, but a bit of cheesey schmaltz is just what the dr ordered sometimes.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Well done for suggesting a 'film club!', love love watching movies and we have sky+ so watch loads of them. Some my fav movies are:-

Snatch
    fight club
    gone in 60 seconds
    Jumper
    Step up
    step up 3
    Face/Off
  • frogmella
    Options
    So, can we do a film of the month like the book of the month out of the book club? I am dying for some suggestions of films that I must see!
  • newbygran
    Options
    the film I 'm looking forward to is LIFE OF PI, :D on at the senior's day 26th march. I missed the film, HOTEL MARIGOLD, I think a dvd of it may be on it's way (mother's day) :) yipee my friends rated well,