Salivary Gland Cancer.....

Options
deedeeitsme
deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
edited 7. Mar 2013, 06:20 in Community Chit-chat archive
My mum had a growth on the side of her face, near the bottom of her ear and went to have it check at the hospital a couple of weeks ago. They made an appointment for her to go back this wednesday and have the growth removed. They did a biopsy at the first appointment and she has been diagnosed with Salivary Gland Cancer. She has now got a scar running down her face from the top of her ear measuring about 6-7 inches. The problem I've got is this, she went to her appointment with my Dad and her sister (I usually go to appointments with her but had got an appointment myself so could not go this time). Mum has also got Vascular Dimensia so I said to Dad, when she goes in have a word with the surgeon and explain to him that any instructions for after the op must be given to you because mum will not remember, well he forgot to ask. Now I'm assuming that there must be some sort of follow up investigation to check that they have removed all the cancer and it has not spread anywhere else. I am going to make an appointment to see mums gp (with mum) so that we know where we go from here. I am so annoyed with myself for not re-arranging my appointment and going with her now. She has taken it all in her stride though, being completely unaware of what is happening around you is a good thing sometimes. She just keeps saying how good the staff were and that they held her hand. Bless her.

Thanks for "listening" Dee x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Aww Dee bless your lovely mum....how nice of her ..at least it seems she was well look after.
    There should be a letter on its way to her GPs...so ring the hospital and ask for a copy...other than that your GP will give you one although there might be a charge..
    Try not to feel guilty about not being there...I had lots of this when nursing my mum..I do wish her well ,and please let us know how she gets on ((()) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I go with my oh to appointments ,he had a stroke over 10 years ago and has short term memory problems .I hope you manage to get things sorted for your mum,sending you both hugs.(((()))) (((()))) Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Dee, you did what seemed the right thing at the time. No-one can do more. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Your Mum sounds to be a very practical woman. I hope all news is good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Dee

try not to worry I think you can salavage this easy enough and find out what you need to know to look after her best.

If your Mum didn't have the dementia I reckon she might well have wanted you to go to your appointment anyway :?

I do hope all is well and they 'got it all'

Love and ((())) to you

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Dee
    Just to say I am still thinking of you and your mum ((((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Thank you all again and thank you for thinking about us Barbara, you are all lovely.

Mum is doing very well, coping better than I would I think. She has got a lovely tinge of yellow bruising where the scar is but nothing major to worry about. I rang mums surgery and the gp rang me back and said that as soon as the report was received from the hospital she would make us an appointment to go and have a chat with her and discuss any follow up hospital appointments, if needed, and to answer any questions that we might have. Her gp is lovely, she is the one that got us through when we found out mum had dementia and got the ball rolling with a care plan, support etc.

Take care. Dee x