antidote to TOWIE

Options
daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 3. Mar 2013, 17:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
Did anyone else see the lovely programme this evening on BBC4 about the natural(as opposed to the surgically enhanced!) beauty of Essex? It was a wonderful escapist, feelgood hour as far as I was concerned - just what I needed to distract from the effects of a cold.Highlights were the water vole, the Billericay bluebell woods and the weird field of dead oaks.

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry Daffy didn't see it, hope your cold gets better soon xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Daffy2

I am sorry to say l missed it :? but I do know how lovely a lot of Essex is....having lived there as a child....and then again in my 20's :D

I hope you feel better soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Daffy2

sorry I didn't see it either :(

I hope your cold is better soon too

Love juliepf x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I always miss the good programs...I sit here thinking there is nothing on the TV... :roll: mind you I never get hold of the remote... :x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I haven't seen either programme but the field of dead oaks sounds interesting. Do we know why and how?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Apparently Sticky it's the remnants of a wooded area which has suffered from salt infiltration of the water table(it's right on the coast) and drought which gradually killed the trees, but they have been left standing. As the presenter said the trunks look very elephant like with the grey gnarled bark.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I love Essex (well, the prettier bits, you can keep your Romfords, Brentwoods and Chelmsfords!) We go to Mersea Island on a regular basis and other favourtie places include Wivenhoe, Walton-on-the-Naze, the area around Thorpe-le-Soken (I think Margery Allingham came from round there? Or llived there?) and the oddity which is Jaywick is both quirky and unsettling. There are some lovely backwater areas which very few know about and long may that last. We have yet, however, to find the quayside at Maldon - that is a truly hidden gem! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    daffy2 wrote:
    Apparently Sticky it's the remnants of a wooded area which has suffered from salt infiltration of the water table(it's right on the coast) and drought which gradually killed the trees, but they have been left standing. As the presenter said the trunks look very elephant like with the grey gnarled bark.

How interesting! A field full of Essex elephants! I love it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright