Wrist replacement

kerrycc
kerrycc Member Posts: 89
edited 28. Feb 2020, 13:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone. I've not been on the forum for a while so hopefully it's ok that I'm back! Just an update - I had a full wrist replacement on 20th feb! Very new but going well so far. Just wondered if anyone else has any experience of this and if so, any hints and tips :?: :?:

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    welcome back, sorry can not help but so glad it going well good luck and sure some one will be on later who can help keep posting as some will be very interested in following how you are doing val
    val
  • Rowantree
    Rowantree Member Posts: 14
    Hi,
    I'm glad it went well. I'm just recovering from big toe joint debribment and bunionectomy myself. I have been told I may need a wrist fusion or replacement at a later date, as well. I'd be interested to hear about your recovery. Are you in a big bandage? How long for? Thanks
  • kerrycc
    kerrycc Member Posts: 89
    Hi. I had my right wrist fused 14 years ago and have never looked back. Completely pain free but obviously restricted movement which was always fine as I had my left wrist. That's my worry really, although hopefully my left wrist replacement will leave me pain free, it will be quite weak and I will have to be careful with it if I want it to last me a good while. Just a bit worried how disabled it will all leave me but i guess only time will tell. I'm in a pot now and have that off on friday and my stitches out. I will then have another pot put on for a further 4 weeks xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Kerry welcome back from me too :)

There was a lass on here a bit back had her wrist done, but she doesn't post much now.

Well done you and my fingers are crossed that it goes very well. Painfree would be fantastic

I look forward to seeing your posts

Love

Toni xx
  • shandy4greenday
    shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
    I also get lots of problems with my hands and wrists and thumbs but I have not had any surgery and I am not sure what the future will hold with them yet until my Methotrexate starts to kick in which I have only been on for 3 weeks so far,I am hoping surgery will not be needed but can't be sure yet.
  • cancan
    cancan Member Posts: 43
    I cant give you much advice I am afraid but I am hoping maybe you could give me some. I had my left wrist fused about a year ago and I am now waiting to have my right wrist joint replaced but I am still deciding if I should postpone it. Like you I am worried just how much I will be able to do with it afterwards such a lifting/housework/gardening. No one has really told me this. Do you know how long you will be in plaster and are your fingers free to help do things or is that hand totally unusable. I had my fusion done at Wrightington how about you?
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    hi there ,ive had my right wrist done and can i say the difference in mine is great ,i couldnt turn my wrist and couldnt lift any weight ,and i had an operation done three years ago ,it took a few months to get the strength back into it ,but it definately it gave me back a flexible wrist, i am however having problems with that same wrist but its not through the operation not working ,its the wrist bone thats started to disintegrate and the tendon is slipping or something like that ,i cant wring out a cloth ect ,but its more the middle finger and up my arm rather than the wrist ,im sure if this wasnt happening id still be having my wrist good as new ,hope this helps and its a success for you x
  • cancan
    Hi Wynnie, thanks very much for the reply. I am sorry to hear you still have problems, have they said what they will do about it? With the new wrist joint what sort of weight are you able to lift without damaging it? I am having mine done at Wrightington in Lancashire 2 1/2 hours from where I live but they are supposed to be one of the best.
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    hi there ,
    i dont have a new joint i think they shaved lots of the wrist off ,nobody has actually sat me down and said this is what we done ,i was in hospital for three days and in plaster for about a month then physio ,i cant lift heavy weights but am able to use the wrist as normal as i could expect ,compared to before the after was definately well worth the operation ,so they havent replaced anything i had a large deformed wrist bone and they done whatever they done to make it back to a shape where my wrist could work again ,i was in and had an ultra sound on it at the start of the year and the doctor said that the shape of the wristbone isnt correct to hold the tendon in ,apparently it should sit in a groove but it doesnt as part of the bit has disintegrated ,dont get me wrong i can deal with it ,its just a pain i cant grasp things as i used to ,but its not bad enough for surgery yet ,im sure you will be fine anything has got to be better than suffering with a sore wrsit thats no good to you ,im sure you will be physio,d to the max to increase what you will be able to lift ,but the plus thing is you will be better than you are now so you have to focus on a positive ,i will be thinking about you x
  • cancan
    Yes you are right, it has to be better than suffering with the pain and not been able to use it much at all. The left wrist I had fused has worked really well and its fantastic not to have that awful pain.