Dog Tired and Dog Eared

Options
Numptydumpty
Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
edited 9. Mar 2013, 05:36 in Community Chit-chat archive
That's how I feel!
My husband, in his infinite wisdom :roll: agreed to look after a dog for one of his customers, while they're on holiday. She, (the dog) is a Cocker Spaniel. She's very friendly, extremely boisterous and, due to her attraction to dike water and rivers, quite smelly :lol:
He walks her early mornings, late afternoons and then a short walk at bedtime. The rest of the time she's my responsibility.
She is quite lovely, but not very well trained! Thankfully she gets on well with my Westie, :D but not with my cat :( who very sensibly avoids her whenever possible.
She doesn't settle at night. Last night she was howling for most of the night. My OH somehow slept through this :o until I woke him at about 3.30 to do something about it :wink:
This morning I took my weekly hobble to the village shop. (no dogs, I can't manage them with my crutches) When I got back, I let the dogs out into the garden. When I called them back inside, only my Westie came :shock: I then noticed I'd had a delivery whilst at the shop, and the courier had left a gate open!
PANIC STATIONS!!
I grabbed my crutches and a dog lead, and went in search of the runaway. I came back home some time later, worried, worn out and in a great deal of pain, dreading having to phone my OH and tell him I'd lost the dog, and there the little "darling" was, sitting by the back door. Whew, relief!!
I wish I had a doggy-cam, to see what she's been up to, or perhaps I'm better off not knowing :wink:

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,944
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Numpty
    i know how you feel they are very lively dogs i did have a good few years a go a golden retriever you loved mug and water
    the times i had to walk her home like it and she had a big smile on her face. lovely dog.
    i now have a mini dachshund he's 13 now.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Oh Numpty! I commend you for your dogged determination to find the little minx but I do hope it hasn’t made a dogs-dinner of your poor joints. I think your cat is the wise one. (Aren’t they always?) I don’t want to be too dogmatic about this but please don’t be a dogsbody. (())
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    Hi Joan, I thought I'd be OK with a boisterous dog, having once owned a Dalmation. He was a real nutter! Lovely though. Of course that was in the days before I had arthritis.
    Dachshunds are lovely dogs too.
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    Oh Numpty! I commend you for your dogged determination to find the little minx but I do hope it hasn’t made a dogs-dinner of your poor joints. I think your cat is the wise one. (Aren’t they always?) I don’t want to be too dogmatic about this but please don’t be a dogsbody. (())

Sticky, I was feeling dogged by bad luck. It could have been a doggone disaster! If anything had happened to her I would have been in the doghouse.
    Now I just feel really ruff :wink:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awe Numpty poor you, you have had the run around today hope you feel a bit better tomorrow.........tc..................Mariexx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    How's things today, Numpty? Or are you lying doggo :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Numpty that is a nightmare....I have had an hamster die while minding it...but losing a dog...poor you :shock: ...thank goodness she came back.... how long are they on holiday for ..hopefully today will be better...who know she might not want to go home...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Hope it is behaving for you now Numpty. I read your post and you could have been describing my brother's spaniel, particularly the scent issue...although you failed to mention it snoring.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Oh dear...hope you and the dog are now okay.

It must of been worrying being someone else's dog.

Have you got him for long?

Gill
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    How are you today. I hope you're trek around the village for the doggy hasn't made your bones to mad with you.

I once had a cross labrador/retriever and the first day I got him(rescued) he pulled me over. Never been lead strained and hated other dogs. I actually broke my ankle. He had to stay with my parents while I recovered and would you believe, he pulled my father over and he broke his ankle. But, he was a wonderful dog. So affectionate, just had to use one of those mussles when taking him out.

Sorry....my waffle is over now. lol
    Karen xx
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    Right, so last night, my cat decided enough was enough, and didn't come home. I've been looking for him all day. Calling him, even though I felt a bit of a twit, his name's Englebert :oops: It's not like him to go missing. Anyway, he turned up about half an hour ago, demanding food, now my daughter is making a big fuss of him.
    The dog goes home tomorrow. My cat will be pleased :D I think my Westie will miss her though.
    She was quieter last night, no howling, just a bit of whining. Hopefully she'll be even more settled tonight. :wink:
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    Animals...don't you just love 'em :D

Numps x
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.