How many doctors are deaf?

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 6. Mar 2013, 13:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am stll trying to calm down after a frustrating 24 hours. I stopped being able to breathe again on Sunday night, so badly I couldn't lie down and spent many hours sitting up gasping. As per instructions on my last discharge I went to my GP on monday morning who took one look at me and wanted to call an ambulance to get me to the medical assessment unit at the hospital. I refused such high drama, went home, fed the dogs and called a taxi.

I was seen by three doctors in 24 hours, the first was a registrar who was good and detailed in my notes about a twin pregnancy. The second was very cautious and having failed to read my notes sent me for a scan of the heart (I have one and it works) and restarted the clot busting drugs and said he wanted a CT scan. I tried to explain that the exact same symptoms had proved not to be a clot two weeks ago and was nodded and smiled at. Nobody would look at my pregnancy notes or listen to me, I was treated as if I was stupid. To make matters worse, I was shifted between wards, to one with old ladies all coughing fabulous chest infections, and missed meals so at 34 weeks pregnant spent 24 hours with little food and water, not good!

It was only after threatening to discharge myself and producing a few tears that a third doctor, who also didn't read my notes to find out I was having twins decided to discharge me as hyperventilating and worrying too much...anybody who knows me could tell you that was a bit of a laughable diagnosis.

I saw my midwife for my 34 week check yesterday evening, explained the story, she was disgusted and horrified I had been treated medically and not through maternity; that I had been hooked up to machines and nobody did the simple thing that she then decided to do...look at my bump. Bubble has enough space to shove up into my lungs and when Bubble does that I suddenly become acutely unable to breathe. So, for all their machines, tests and clot busting drugs, if the doctors had not been deaf and could have listened or, god forbid look at the huge bump that exists just below my ribs, we could have saved a bed, some drugs and lots of expensive tests anmd some fantastic irritability on my behalf. Funny how sometimes you don't need to go in all guns blazing. I'm still quite annoyed at how they treated me, nobody would listen to me and just saw me as a body to treat. Oh and my Midwife laughed and laughed at the hyperventilation diagnosis and asked me where the fast breathing was because although I was gasping she was surprised how well I was controlling it.

Sorry, I just had to have a wee rant there.

Love LV xx
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh LV, what a nightmare!! I can feel your frustration! What a bunch of incompetents!
    I hope things settle down now, and remain that way for the rest of your pregnancy.
    Not long to go now.
    (((())))
    Fondest wishes,
    Numpty
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Seems to me the medics weren't just deaf they were blind as well, or have they got so used to seeing obese people that they overlook a simple reason why a patient presents with a large tummy? Trouble is once they've missed the obvious everything that follows tends to hare off down the wrong track as well.
    Thank heaven for midwives eh?
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Maybe they thought your bump was trapped wind :shock:
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi LV,I'm so angry for you,how dare they treat you like that.Theres an old saying "there's none so blind as those that can't see" ,thank heaven your midwife is on the ball.
    If it is wind I should hate to be there when you let rip. :lol: Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    LV this is disgusting treatment...why has the NHS gone like this is beyond me...the training doesn't seem to be there...my dear friend use to be a matron...and is horrified at the treatment or non treatment that people are getting today...
    I am so pleased at the outcome...bless those twins are having a good time in there.. :D you look after yourself and the little ones....(((((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think you qualify for more than ‘a wee rant’, LV. Being unable to breathe is very scary indeed. When it happens to me it’s to do with bad colds and bits of my innards not being where they should be or interacting as they should rather than two little feet kicking me in the lungs but, I guess, the end result is the same. Add on several deaf and dumb medics and you have sheer and utter frustration. (I get the impression that you’d have been grateful for the wherewithal to hyperventilate :roll: )

I had missed you on here. I’m glad you’re back home and with a midwife who seems to have more common sense (It’s not really all that common :wink: ) than all those docs. Ah well, not long to go now. Then you can have full use of your lungs again while B & S make full use of theirs :lol:

Mig, another gem :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I would be having more than a little rant if it was me! It is funny how they don't listen to you and assume that you have no brain in your head. My mom always said that once she got pregnant with me it was like the doctors thought she had had a lobotomy!

I am sorry that you had to endure such rubbish treatment and hope that you can steer your way to the twins' birthday without having to go back there.

(())
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello LV,

You call it a wee rant, but I read it as a well considered,
    intelligent report on a situation that happened in your life.
    If you can maintain this approach to life it augurs well
    for your future and that of the twins.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Thank you for your lovely and kind support everybody!
    You've made me feel lots better about things. I did wonder if it was possibly due to my heightened hormones but I'm with you all, it was just bad practice! The good news is that Bubble and Squeak are oblivious to all this fuss, remaining happily tucked up in there kicking me, my lungs and each other (I can feel when they go at each other and I keep wondering if it starts as a thumb war and ends in a full on battle). It seems they are making the most of this final camp out period before having to join the world.
    I've done lots of eating today which has made things feel a bit better too. I will not be going back to hospital if things get bad with the breathing again unless I lose consciousness and somebody else decides to take me there and I'm not sure, even in those circumstances, Mr LV would dare!
    xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Well, all I can say is.....oh my god... What an ordeal. You poor thing. It should not have happened and yes, as daffy said. They were not only deaf but blind as well.

Thank goodness, in a way the last doctor did discharge you. It makes you wonder what they would have done next. I am so glad you're little ones are ok as well. You will have to give them a telling off for their fighting.
    Karen xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awe gosh LV you were entitled to a massive rant after what you went through, you were so well looked after the last time, I sometimes think doctors walk about with rose tinted glasses on and deaf aids with the batteries run out, thank goodness you are home safe and well, lets hope B & S will not be using your lungs for pillows again until they decide to make their entrance...............tc..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles