Training for a career

Options
FitnessFreak87
FitnessFreak87 Member Posts: 2
Hello all :D
I'm Kelly, aged 25 years old and have osteoarthritis in both of my feet.
Used to be a youth worker and used to travel weekly with my job to visit schools and homes.
Now I've left my job and found a passion in fitness (Gym of course lol) and would love to train for a career in fitness. Only the problem is that I don't know if it will be worth it if osteoarthritis will get worse in the future.
I'm sick of living with limits and on benefits. I rather travel and do whatever I want but it's hard when I am not allowed to travel for a long time whilst on benefits, that suck. I really want to work full time and train for a new career.
I was wondering if anyone here works in fitness?
Many thanks :D
xKellyx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kelly, it's good to meet you. Fitness is good for everyone but especially needed for those of us with arthritis. It's good that you have the ambition to get off benefits and make a life for yourself. I don't know what options would be open to you but I wonder if it might be worth you having a word with our helpline people. They might be able to point you in the right direction.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Julie37927
    Julie37927 Bots Posts: 35
    Options
    You are quite young for OA in your feet. How did your doctor diagnose your OA? By x-ray, CT or MRI? Have you had some injuries to your feet, broken bones or sprains? Depending on how bad your OA is, you would most definitly benefit from more fitness and activity. Generally OA gets worse with age, but you are so young. You want to keep your weight down and your activity level up to manage OA at any age. Exercise is the best medicine for you.
    Congratulations on wanting to get better and help yourself. I work in fitness and absolutely love it!! What's great about the profession is that you stay in shape just working!! Helping other people attain there fitness goals is very rewarding and much needed in today's world. On whether or not you can manage it with your own OA, only you can tell that. You don't know until you try. You may find that your symptoms get worse with some exercises but not others. You will have to customize your work outs so as not to flare up your OA. Hope this helps.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Yay! Oldest resurrected thread yet! I wish there was a prize. :|
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben