A speedy hello!

Options
kimbo1
kimbo1 Member Posts: 29
edited 16. Mar 2013, 14:35 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone
I'm 20 and in my second year of uni and was diagnosed with arthritis a couple of weeks ago after being told i almost defiantly didn't have it so it was quite a shock and I'm still coming to terms with it.

So glad I've found this forum as atm it seems like no one really understands how I feel and I try to put on a strong happy face to everyone as I'm always known as the happiest person so feel silly being down.

So that was my hi
Thanks
Kimbo

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. I have two sorts of arthritis, an auto-immune version which has led over time to osteo; what sort ails thee? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kimbo1
    Options
    Hi DD, they think its inflammatory caused by an immune response, currently choosing what meds to go on, hoping they will help and reduce the pain a bit :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello Kimbo. It must be a shock. We do have one or two students on here. I was diagnosed at 15 so was used to it before uni. I'm waaaaay past that now :wink:

I, too, hope the meds help. The main thing is to get the disease under control. Sometimes pain has to be tackled separately.

It's hard for others to understand at all ages but especially when you are young. Please don't bottle everything up so that you can stay smiling for them. Remember you can always come here and tell it like it is because we really do understand - all too well at times :roll: :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Kimbo and a warm welcome from me...
    I am so glad you have joined us, it does help to talk...and we are always here.
    I am not surprised you are in shock, dont feel guilty about being down you will come out of it....there will always be ups and downs but you do sound to be a positive person and that will go along way x
    Love
    Barbara
  • MumV
    MumV Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Hello Kimbo1,

My daughter is 20 and in second year Uni, like Sticky wicket she was diagnosed earlier(13/14), had some rough times but was more used to it by Start of Uni.

Definitely get those meds and get things under control first, it can take time for things to adjust and find what suits you.

You've probably had advice about DSA (disabled students Allowance)- don't be put off by the title, long term illness can get it too, on diagnosis you should be able to claim, they award you, but a lot if what you are awarded you only claim for if you use it (by submitting receipts etc for your own books or printing or travel costs to and from lectures) and more so if all is going well you probably won't claim...any way sorry to go on..typical of a mum!!

Wellness wishes are sent for you and good control or remission.

Kind regards MumV.
  • kimbo1
    Options
    Thanks for being so welcoming to me :) Nice to be able to talk to others affected and get advice and understanding.
    Seem to be just about managing with uni work although sometimes the concentration wanders, but in a weird way this makes me try even harder as I want to prove to myself that nothing can stop me!

Had an upsetting moment the other day sounds so small and trivial, but I realized that I can no longer easily undo jars myself and saw for my self how this is progressing in just a number of weeks. Luckily I have a very caring family who came to visit yesterday and have bought me a gadget to help undo jars so I can still have my jam on toast when no one else is in!