Trapeziectomy

Options
2»

Comments

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So pleased that everything went well. I'm interested in this as I, too, have arthritis in my left thumb (and my right has begun to hurt over the past two months). I've had three steroid injections into the basal joint so far. The pain has reduced somewhat since the last one, two months ago, but it's still there and seems to spread into my wrist and up my arm. I've been told to wait another 5 weeks before going back to the GP (6 weeks after the steroid injection for trigger thumb on the same hand), so I'll see how I am by then.

Hope everything continues to improve for you.

Meg
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hello Michelle
    you have done well. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    So 3 weeks post op. Stitches all gone and the wound looks really good. The shooting pains have gone but my hand is still quite swollen and it is a bit tricky to do my exercises. I can now touch my middle finger with my thumb but there is no strength behind it yet and I can just about tear a piece of loo roll off!!! Can't hold a spoon or toothbrush in my hand yet but things are improving everyday. Feeling very positive although a little disappointed that I hadn't been fully informed by the surgeon just how limiting the surgery would be and how long the recovery could be. The only major downside so far is the realisation that the left thumb is definitely on its way out too :( Right back to watching recorded rubbish on the goggle box.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Glad it is all going well Michelle, you sound so positive, I am at the hand clinic in a couple of weeks and feeling a bit nervous as I think I will be next for the 'chop' so to speak :lol: it really needs doing as it is getting worse by the minute. Hope the rest of the recovery goes well...................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Michelle63
    Options
    Week 10, huge improvements daily. I drove today for the first time, has to be said I am not so sure it was a great idea. Turned the ignition key, okay whilst driving in a straight line, lightly holding steering wheel was fine....turning whilst changing gear or manoeuvring was a whole different story...still very painful. Not sure how safe either! Other areas are fab, large movements, general tasks are fine but writing is still tricky as is pulling up jeans or using scissors. Any task that requires extending the thumb and using force is painful.
    The physio exercises are very important as is massaging oil into the scar. I am very glad I have had the surgery although I am having the left thumb xrayed in February as it is very poor, probably due to overuse while recovering from the surgery.
    My tips...don't overdo things, forget wearing a bra for a couple of weeks and avoid jeans!! All the best xx
  • villier
    Options
    Thanks for the update Michelle, glad things are going well for you, although, I hope I am doing a bit more 10 weeks post op as I live on my own and will need to do everything for myself. I couldn't go without a bra as I am a bit too well endowed in that area :shock: I have some sports bras and have been practising putting them on and off with one hand and get there with a bit of jiggling(what a sight) :lol: I have also been practising with jeans and have been managing to button them by putting my pinkie into the eyelet and pulling it over the button, having lost half stone has helped as my jeans are now slack, I have joggers which I can wear when I am in the house. It is the driving, or not, that is going be a pain as the hospital I am going to is the other side of Glasgow as I have a neurological condition and cant walk very far it will have to be public transport and taxis. Thanks again Michelle for the tips. hope things keep improving for you, keep us up to date how you are doing........................Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Marie

Isn't there a dial-a-ride service that could get you to the hospital and back rather than go on public transport? It's a pain having to rely on other services/people isn't it when things like this happen

Elainexx
  • villier
    Options
    Sorry Elaine I have just noticed this. I have seen a dial a bus about although it was a long time ago, I will enquire about it I never gave it a thought, thanks for that.................Marie x
    day is full of Smiles
  • Michelle63
    Options
    Saw the physio today and got signed off....yay. I have been a model patient and she told me that I was her best post op she has had :mrgreen:
    On a different note, I drove to the hospital which was ok except for putting the seatbelt on. Absolutely horrendous, trying to pull it over me and then grab with my left hand to plug in left me in agony. Ah well at least I can drive. And also sadly having to wear a splint on the left hand because it is definitely on its way out too. BUT......strength up to 9kg in my right hand from 5 so all good. Onwards and upwards, I shall be back on the motorbike in no time.
    Physio and massage is the way to go.
    All the best to you with your op. Xxx
  • villier
    Options
    That's great news Michelle, good on you for being a model patient it sounds as if you are well on the mend. How often were you getting physio?

I am getting a wee bit nervous now as Wednesday is not so far away :shock: anyway the Christmas shopping is nearly finished and wrapped, just got food to organise for the freezer now and that should be me organised.

That's a shame getting relief from one hand and the other giving you so much pain, my other hand is sufferable, at least I should have a good while before I need to even think about another op. xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • Michelle63
    Options
    I had physio at 1 week post op, 2 weeks after that, 1 week later, 2 weeks, 2 weeks and finally 3 weeks.the first appointment was to make the thermoplastic splint which I used for 6 weeks with a compression glove. No exercises at this time. At 6 weeks I was given some very simple exercises, wound checked and measurements taken for range of movement. Next appointment was gently introducing other exercises and a softer splint to use. The last two times I saw the physio were to measure, check ROM and strength. She gave me a stitched soft splint to wear when doing heavier tasks and a soft splint for my left hand to protect it. Basically I now continue with the exercises and massage until I see the consultant in Feb. I guess things vary from between Heath authorities but I have received fantastic aftercare. I should have final improvements by 1 year to 18 months.
    You sound well organised, hope all goes well and take plenty of pain relief if needed. I did manage without Oramorph but used all the paracetamol that was prescribed. Keep us updated, Michelle xx
  • villier
    Options
    Once again, thanks, Michelle, it has helped a lot with all the information you have given me. It has been great to have someone to keep me informed that has had the op as you know consultants never have the time to explain everything to you.

I hope I will be a model patient as well as yourself although these days I tend to heal quite slowly if I hurt myself, I will certainly let you know how I get on...............tc..................Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Hi Marie,

I believe your Trapeziectomy is on Wednesday, I would like to send you my best wishes for a very speedy recovery.

We will soon be seeing you back on the trapeze working your magic, do you wear a tutu? :lol: Make sure you wear knickers! :o

Take care,

Trish xx
  • villier
    Options
    Thank you trish for your kind words they are appreciated, yes it is Wednesday :roll: ................me in a tutu :shock: more like a sumo suit :lol: the last time I was in I had to wear the hospital Bridget Jones paper knickers :? I am glad it is my hand that's getting done at least the surgeon won't see the passion killers(well I hope not) :oops: .........Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles