Suggestions for a new bed/mattress

Options
Teapot
Teapot Member Posts: 271
edited 18. Mar 2013, 20:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good evening everyone
Hope you have had a good day.
I am looking for some advice. I have a double bed from Ikea with a normal mattress. The base had wooden slats. It is 6 years old and the mattress now dips in the middle (only me in it). I am looking for advice as to whether to buy a memory foam mattress topper, a memory foam mattress or a divan bed with a memory foam mattress this will be on a firm base and no slats. Has anyone any suggestions as to the best way forward. I am recently diagnosed and hope when I see my GP end of March she will refer me to a Rheumy. I have left shoulder pain and finger and foot pain. I have only ever been able to sleep on my right side and have to have my left arm/shoulder resting on a pillow. Also are memory foam pillows any good. I really feel that my bed is the best place to start for comfort as I am not getting a good nights sleep. I am trying to manage for a few days without pain killers (ibroprophen) and have got through today keeping busy with my little grandson. Hope someone has some advice as need to start shopping soon. Many thanks to all and also all the advice on this forum it is brilliant.

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Valde this was a topic just the other day I will look for it and bump it up so you can see the replies....................Marie
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thankyou Marie, I shall be grateful for that.
    Valde
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Good thinking, valde, as we spend so much of our lives in bed and mattresses play a bit role. However, this is such an individual thing.

One thing for sure – if your current mattress sinks in the middle then just buying a topper will do you no favours. You need a new mattress. Whether or not you also need a new base, I just don’t know. I don’t know anything about beds with slats and/or how good they’re supposed to be. I have a sprung divan with about 2” integral memory foam on top and I’d have no other now. I did used to have a full memory foam one and, although it was better than any I’d had previously, it was very hot and heavy to turn.

Pillows? Again, I wouldn’t be without my shaped memory foam one – literally. I take it everywhere – but that’s because it makes a huge difference for my very arthritic neck. Others have different views.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Valde

My top ten tip re beds is to make sure it is 'high enough'. It is SO hard to get out of a low down bed when your joints hurt!!

After that it really is a matter of trying some out in my opinion. Go to a bed store to look and try some out. You dont have to buy there do you?

Memory foam has been great for me, but some folks find it too warm. A memory foam topper woudl give you an idea though before going the whole way :wink:

Good luck

Love

Toni xx
  • Teapot
    Options
    Many thanks to everyone. I went out this morning with all my notes, bed mattress shopping. Could not make up my mind re memory foam mattress so I decided to buy a memory foam topper to try first and a memory foam pillow. On inspection of my bed it was found that one of the 4 steel bars had come unattached - thus the sag in the mattress !!!!! So I am hoping the topper will now do the trick and give me a more comfortable sleep as my mattress is rather firm on its own. I took on board that some people get hot with a full memory foam mattress so as you suggest Toni a topper will give me an idea and at the same time was a lot less that buying a completely new bed/mattress. I will give it a try for a good 6 months. I do have a high bed and it will be higher when the topper goes on. Thank you all again. Looking forward to some nice warm weather its so depressing at the moment surely it can't last for much longer. Valde x
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    You could try a sheet of plywood under the mattress on top of the slats and a new memory foam mattress.

The plywood will take the strain for the slats and the memory foam is brilliant.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I would be wary of having plywood under a mattress as the lack of ventilation can cause the mattress to get mouldy. I discovered this the hard way with a cabin bed my son had. When we bought a latex mattress to go on our own bed base Dunlopillo specified the number and size of holes that had to be drilled in the blockboard base and also waffle foam between the mattress and the board.