change in meds?

Options
babyg
babyg Member Posts: 17
edited 18. Mar 2013, 06:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All, sorry I haven't been on in a while, my mum passed away 2 weeks ago, been struggling a bit. Anyway I went to see a new Dr yesterday as the medical centre I go to only had that appointment free. He wanted to change my meds as the prescription I am on at mo is only lasting me 2 weeks. I am on 50/60mg of amitriptyline, as well as full dosage of tramadol, paracetamol and diclofenac. He wants to change it to pregabalin or gabapentin, both of these are for nerve pain. He is going to wait until things have settled at home first, or should I ask to be referred to pain clinic? Any advice would be helpful. Sorry just read it back meds dosage is per day. And I have stage 3 OA.

Thanks babyg XxxxxxX

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, firstly may I pass on my condolences on the death or your mum, this must be a very tough time for you indeed.

Secondly, quite a few on here are on gabapentin / pregabalin and they can help. If this means a reduction in your other meds then surely it has to be worth a try. New doctors always bring a fresh view (theirs!) to our situations and it seems to me that you have little to lose. I've not had either of these drugs, I have PsA and OA but don't be afraid to change meds - you can always change back if they don't suit.

Thirdly, have some hugs. (((()))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello babyg
    I am so sorry to here about your mum ...I lost mine many moons ago now but she is always in my thoughts...
    Has for the meds I take gabapentin, its is very good for nerve pain...pain clinics differ so much depending on were you live..mine wasn't very good but we have Hileena on here and she has had lots of help off them.
    I do wish you well and at least your GPis keeping an eye on things and this is good xx
    Love
    Barbara