Depression!

Options
Thelaststarfighter
Thelaststarfighter Member Posts: 34
edited 18. Mar 2013, 11:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I am really finding it hard to stay positive about things. Has anyone due to their arthy or anything associated been diagnosed with depression?

I feel my head is not clear like a cloud is over me and I can't escape it!

This is really bothering me and not sure what to do?

Would really value any help on the matter.

TLSF

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    When I discovered that I had OA on top of the other then yes, that dark hole opened up and in I went. I was given a short course of anti-depressants by my GP (whose reaction when I asked for some help was 'About time!') and I aimed to be off them after three months. My rheumatologist disagreed and I am now on a small daily dose to help me cope with life, and that makes sense to me because if I'm better mentally then I can cope better. I'm not bothered about taking them, neither do I feel any sense of shame in taking them. They help - end of. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello
    There are quite a few on here on ADs...I do think they have this stigma attached ,but they really will help you get through the down days
    Please go and see your GP, ,and dont feel you are on your own..we are always here .
    Wishing you well with it all (((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I've been on anti-deps for many years. Before I was diagnosed with arthur. And they really do help you know. But it does seem to go hand in hand when you have arthur. Go to your gp and get yourself put on some. You will be amazed at the difference.
    Karen xx
  • queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    Options
    Hi TLSF I didn't really want to go on ADs because I thought would think I was weak, but the doctor I am with now gave me a booklet which questions in, she then said I will not push you into taking these tablets but answer the questions honestly then see how you feel, I was determined that I could pull myself together, telling myself I just needed a kick up the bottom, then sat down to read the questions, I became quite emotional & shocked that with each question that I read was exactly how i was feeling, I have now been on ADs for three years & know they have helped me so much, I did have a little blip when an elderly neighbor who is in her eighties recently started having pain in her shoulders due to arthritis, said to me about the pain she was having was getting her down lately, I told her to see her GP with that she replied Oh I don't need to do that because I know we are different types of people, I have always been a strong person but you seem to me quite weak, :cry: It really upset me& didn't know what to say, my hubby wasn't very happy,I try to avoid getting into conversations with her now but I wouldn't be disrespectful to her, my doctor & a very dear friend said to me once if you had a broken arm you would take pain killers, well that is just the same when your body cant take any more, it's just that people cant see it because we tend to hide it away
    Please do what is best for you, there are quite a few of us on here have walked that road, Take care Sue :wink:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi all,

I am really finding it hard to stay positive about things. Has anyone due to their arthy or anything associated been diagnosed with depression?

I feel my head is not clear like a cloud is over me and I can't escape it!

This is really bothering me and not sure what to do?

Would really value any help on the matter.

TLSF

Hi TLSF

Yes, I am sure we all get to the depths of desparity at some time of our lives, I was diagnosed first with a very rare neurological disease(which causes me a lot of nerve pain) and then hey ho arthur reared his ugly head as well to join the party :lol: , do not despair we can all find ways of dealing with our problems, maybe you need to speak to your GP and as the others said have a try on AD's there is also pain managment clinics that can help as well, you are not alone we are all here with you anytime..............Mariw xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • fibrogal1
    fibrogal1 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree about depression and all the pain related problems we have going hand in hand.Chronic pain drains our seratonin so we put it back via Anti ds.If you have a cough you take cough medicine,if I have depression I take depression medicine!
    Dont ever think you are weak,you are dealing with a group of problems at the same time.Deal with the depression and you can cope better with the pain.Im off to a pain clinic next week.Hope they can help me with the pacing!Im a bugger for doing too much at a time then being laid up for a few days.
    Give yourself a break and dont let the health problems define who you are,treat them as an inconvenience and no more.We have too much else to do or be.Gentle hugs to you all.Maz x
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Reiterate everything already commented ; I have RA and OA and have been on an anti depressant for a few years now . Your body needs help to deal with everything thrown at it ! Jillyb
  • Thelaststarfighter
    Thelaststarfighter Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the info I have found it very useful. I need to see the doc as I don't want this to continue and get deeper into this cloud :(.

I am just glad I posted this topic as I now know I'm not on my own.

I don't know what to say to the doc?

It's 3pm and I am going to bed to sleep, i am dead tired even tho i didn't wake up today until 11:00! these flipping drugs have me peeing orange coloured urine and I can't shift the chest infection I have had for three weeks now!

Thanks again,

TLSF xo
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Being constantly ill, totally drains you and challenges you in a way you didn't think was possible. I take AD's and they help me to manage. I have a better quality of life taking them, and that is what it is all about at the end of the day.

Just be honest with your doc, tell him which symptoms bother you the most and ask how he can help. I was in a really bad place with back pain, when I went to the doc I expected to be put in the looney bin!! However she referred me to the pain clinic and I was given facet joint injections and physio pain management. That really helped me.

When you get so low and can't think clearly, your doc can offer options outside the box, you hadn't even thought of.

I wish you well for your appt.