MTX injection

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 18. Mar 2013, 05:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone else find that injections can be fiddly little so-and-sos? I can't open the needles, (require assistance) can't screw the needle to the syringe (require assistance) and now, they've changed syringe, so that's really hard work too! I am loathe to return to the tablets as they gave me side effects and I am also loathe to get the nurse to do them every week. I asked at the pharmacy for a different type of syringe and they huffed and puffed and sighed and said no! Any tips gratefully received? :D

Comments

• scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Your rheumatologist can prescribe a different type of injection system called Metoject where the syringe is whole and comes preloaded with your MTX dose. You just take it out of the package and inject, no fiddly bits! I've been using Metoject for 3 years although it may be that your health authority are saving money prescribing the other method, so you might have to stamp your feet a bit. The Metoject was created to make self-injecting simpler so you wouldn't have to fight with your meds.

Might be worth asking about, especially if you say you're not able to take your MTX with the current system.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,181
    Options
    I have metoject after using 2 different types of syringe, not out of choice but because hospital kept changing supplier. :roll: Putting on your own needle was fiddly, but the only thing I don't like about metoject is that they can leak - ie when you take the lid off a 'bead' of liquid can form at the end of the needle. Not always (rheumy nurse warned me about this, they're aware of it). I get round this by always storing the syringes in their boxes head up so to speak, so the liquid isn't draining up to the needle. Seems to help but I don't know how scientific it is!
    Also the cap is fairly small and instead of unscrewing like the ones I had to put needle on myself, it has to pull off and I find it a bit suction-y and have to be careful with the way I do it as you tend to feel it is going to resist you but then give all at once (if you see what I mean). That might be my bad technique though. Not trying to put you off but just something to bear in mind. The whole syringe is fairly small in fact.

What is good about them is they are concentrated, so less to inject.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I have heard of metoject and did mention it to my rheumy who said no but I am continuing to have problems, so will push her a little harder at my next appt.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Talk to your Rheumy nurse you can get the pen type
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Starburst I use the monojet too as I would find attaching the needle fiddly.
    If I were you I would push to get them. There's no reason why you could'nt get them to be honest. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    Options
    i have metoject ,they are a million times better than all the phaff when i was on methotrexate before and had to fill the syringe myself ,id ask for it cant see why they cant give it to you ,good luck in getting it x
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I use metoject, its much easier, everything comes ready for you.
    So I would ask for that if you having troubles.