Sleeping post op ?

Options
JanO
JanO Member Posts: 34
edited 19. Mar 2013, 09:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
6 days post THR op,I'm finding it difficult and uncomfortable lying on my back, right across my lower back is very sore and achy. It is this pain that wakes me not the pain from op ! Any suggestion ?

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh boy, do I remember going through that. Laying on the back every night. My problem being I have OA in the back. If I remember, I ended up with so many pillows, propping me up a lot more. And of course the pillow between the legs. Thats it I think. Sorry that I cant offer more.

How is the actual hip feeling though. Are you happy with it.
    Karen xx
  • JanO
    Options
    Thank you constable, The hip is feeling good so far, the arthritic pain has gone, I'm feeling steadier by the day. Did you stay sleeping on your back for the full 6 weeks ?
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Yes I did. You will be surprised how you will look on and think, wow, I managed that ok. Only a suggestion, but you could ring your doctors and ask for something to help you get to sleep.

I'm glad that you no longer have the arthritis pain, that is good. Keep up the good work, doing the excercises and you'll be back toa more way of life.
    Karen xx
  • JanO
    Options
    Thanks Karen, I think I'm going to have a word with the doc, last night was hideous , I think I had 2 catnaps, it's so frustrating as its uncomfortable from lying in the same position as opposed to pain from the surgery. I shouldn't moan though, I know it will be over soon I'm just rubbish without sleep. X
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I have spinal issues and have had a few periods where I have had to sleep on my back. I have always found that a pillow under my knees helps to be comfortable. I also would take my stronger pain meds at night, primarily to help me drop off.

I know what you mean about not being comfortable - I am a side sleeper so I get it!
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    I had a TKR 5 weeks and am still having problems sleeping, TKR is fine during the day. I take a couple of painkillers before going to bed, but also have a nap in the afternoon.
    Glad to hear new hip is fine.
    Barry.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Jan
    I hope last night wasn't too bad
    I have this to come, and I am dreading sleeping on my back for 6 weeks...my back just doesn't straighten..so I will be watching this thread...wishing you well with your recovery xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • JanO
    Options
    How are you doing Barry, I'm taking paracetamol and hydro codeine , they are good and keeping pain at bay but the problem at night is being uncomfortable rather than pain, I will try more pillows ,
  • JanO
    Options
    Well I have just walked around the block, I really enjoyed the fresh air even though it is damp and grey here. I slept better last night and am starting to feel much more like my old self ( early days though )
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Jan

Sorry if this sounds elementary but are you taking pain relief before and during the night? I used to keep my medication by my bed in the first few weeks post TKR and had them in the wee small hours with a biscuit to line my stomach...
    Hope you get relief soon....

Elainexx
    JanO wrote:
    6 days post THR op,I'm finding it difficult and uncomfortable lying on my back, right across my lower back is very sore and achy. It is this pain that wakes me not the pain from op ! Any suggestion ?
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Oohhhh!!! I so remember that 6 weeks....pretty awful.
    The only thing I can say is the pillow between your legs which is normal and then pillows all around you. It was still very uncomfortable. Have you tried a V shape pillow???
    Love
    Hileena