Stiff Wrists

Options
ELAINE55555
ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
edited 17. Mar 2013, 19:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All
Just a wee question for anyone who cares to answer. Got RA which is confined, at the moment to my wrists. They are not too painful and have not been swollen or inflammed for months, thanks to mtx. However they are becoming increasingly stiff these last few weeks and I feel they are more sore than normal when peeling spuds, for example or trying a bit of ironing. My question is this. Does the damage to joints continue all the time even though there is no obvious inflammation or does the damage happen only when inflammation is present? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi there ,im under the assumption that its the inflammation that causes the damage !!!!, hope thats how it goes for im thinking if ive no inflammation my joints are okay :?
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi All
    Just a wee question for anyone who cares to answer. Got RA which is confined, at the moment to my wrists. They are not too painful and have not been swollen or inflammed for months, thanks to mtx. However they are becoming increasingly stiff these last few weeks and I feel they are more sore than normal when peeling spuds, for example or trying a bit of ironing. My question is this. Does the damage to joints continue all the time even though there is no obvious inflammation or does the damage happen only when inflammation is present? Thanks in advance.

From what I understand it's the inflammation that damages the joints. I might be wrong but that is what I have always been told, the inflammation can also cause fusion in some joints but I'm not sure if this happens with AS. If you feel things are getting worse you could always request to have steroid injections in the wrists? If you haven’t tried them then they are worth a shot!