Not a good day!!

Options
kentishlady
kentishlady Member Posts: 809
edited 19. Mar 2013, 12:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone. Well, I saw my GP this morning to find out x-ray results and, as we rather suspected, they show have now got OA in my right knee (as well as the RHS of my back). She told me it is likely that will get it in my other knee now as that will take more of the strain. Am feeling rather fed up about it. Have also been suffering badly with my sinusitus problem over the past few days and mentioned it to her, so have now got a course of antibiotics. They seem to have started working rather quickly! Within 2 hours of the first dose have now got eyes and nose streaming, head thumping, shivering non-stop and feel as I imagine an iceberg must feel?! Have attached myself to 2 wheatbags plus a cosy blanket plus hot drinks and am hoping that the worst will pass soon. Back is also protesting as didn't approve of short walk to surgery. Oh, Happy Days, and to cap it all, it's raining - yet again!! We shall all have webbed feet soon at the rate we're going.

Do hope you are all having as good a day as possible.

Can anyone give me any advice on mattress toppers plse. Know some of you mention them and wonder how you all get on with them.

Thanks in advance.

Beryl

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, do hope that you start to feel better soon.

I use a memory foam mattress topper and it does help with tender joints for me, but to get a good quality one is fairly pricey, and the inexpensive ones are so thin I doubt that they would be much help.

Deb x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awe Beryl, sorry to hear your bad news and to boot your sinisitus playing up as well, at least you are doing all the sensible things so lets hope you feel a bit better soon, good ol' arthur, he knows when to kick you in the teeth, here's a few ((((()))))[ to keep you going, what is the doc doing about your knee? The weather here has been awful today as well freezing and rain although the sun has now poked his head through the clouds. There have been a couple of threads about mattresses and toppers over the past week scroll down and you should find them, I got mine in a present and love it but can't remember the name sorry, hope you feel a wee bit better soon........tc........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Oh Beryl, you are having a rough time again aren't you?
    I had a mattress topper before buying a combi memory foam-normal mattress. The problem was that it would move around the bed and needed to be put back in place every night! I don't know if a more expensive one would have been better. On a positive I find the memory foam very comfortable.
    I hope you feel better soon.
    xxxHelenxx
  • Teapot
    Teapot Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Good morning Beryl
    Just read your thread.So sorry you are not having a good day. Today I am not having a good day but my grandson is coming today who is almost 2 years old so I am sure it will lift my spirits to see the smiles. I too have been having problems deciding on a mattress or topper. There are lots of threads recently and I have some good advice - sorry I don't know how to "bump" these to you. I purchased yesterday a memory foam topper to try for at least 6 months it is nice and thick and it did cost 140.00 but if it works its a bonus for the pressure points on my shoulders and tops arms. I have heard of good resuts. My matress is quite firm and only around 5 years old so before going for the full mattress I thought I would try the topper. It is laying out in the spare room at the moment as I was told to rest it for a few days - I am looking forward to try it out together with a memory foam pillow I also bought. I will post the results. I hope your day improves x Valde
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Beryl
    I am sorry you are suffering with sinusitus..on top of everything else...
    I tried a memory foam topper ..and found I could turn over due to having wonky hips and back..it sought of gripped me..
    I now have a feather topper..off one of the shopping channels..it is lovely to sleep on...the only drawback is having to shake it every few days..I find it to heavy so my OH does it...
    I do hope you find something that suits you....and I hope you feel a little better very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Beryl how are you feelinf today ? xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Thanks for all your helpful comments. Am glad to say that I think the worst of the sinusitus attack is over (I hope). I feel a lot better than I did yesterday so that's a great improvement although am still feeling 1 degree under - probably 2 or 3 if I tell the truth! I've done a self-referral for physio for knee which I sent off about a month ago but there is a waiting list of about 7/8 weeks so think I am not likely to hear until the end of next month. My Dr thinks that hydro might help me more. I have had hydro in the past for my back and found it helped whilst I was in the water but didn't improve things once out! She suggested a couple of exercises to do - one of which involves lifting my right leg off the ground as much as I can. Bit difficult and painful as well as leg won't lift very far because of back problem, so she decided that probably wasn't a good idea. Hey ho!!

Thanks for the comments on toppers. Am mulling the idea over and will do a little research on the internet before deciding. I guess it's like everything, they help some people and not others and you don't find out until you try it.

Hope the sun is still shining in Loch Lomond. Could you send it down South please. It's been raining - again - but at the moment has managed to leave off but no hint of sunshine anywhere.

Hope you are all as well as possible.

Beryl
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I am late, but am hoping that today you feel a little better than before. You have been through it haven't you.

We have a mattress with a memory foam built in. And I have to say that it is comfy. But, it doesn't stop my hips from protesting if I lay on my sides.

I have also ordered 2 memory foam pillows, shall let you know how they are.
    Karen xx