Question about THR on the Isle of Man.

Options
Helenbothknees
Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
edited 19. Mar 2013, 04:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I don't know if any of you can help with this....

I phoned a friend who lives on the Isle of Man yesterday, and she was in a terrible state. She was supposed to have a THR (she has OA) a week ago. However, the consultant refused at the last moment, more or less. Apparently, she can't have a general anaesthetic due to a heart problem, and he refuses to use epidurals. She's now home, living alone, unable to walk except on crutches, and in great pain. She says the anaesthetist would probably refuse to give her a general anaesthetic, even if she agreed to it. The only other hip man on the island has an 18 month waiting list, and they won't let her see him anyway...that's what she said at least; I don't know why. I suggested going private, but her knee may need doing too, and the two together is more money than she can possibly raise.

My questions:-
1) First, and most important, are there different rules on the Isle of Man as far as the NHS is concerned?
2) Assuming no problem with (1), could she go back to her GP and get an appointment with another consultant of her choice, maybe in Liverpool? If she does that, I presume she'd have to sort out some aftercare after the op before getting the ferry home; is that feasible?
3) What else could she do that we haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance; I'm hoping our colllective knowledge may be some help here.

Please contact AC Helplines or AC Web-Site for AC Branch in IoM. Hope this may be of help. Moderator JK

Comments

• mld
    mld Member Posts: 45
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I used to live on the Isle of Man. It is not a part of the UK, it is not a part of the NHS in the uk either.

In other words she needs to do what they ask her to do, and normally you don't get a choice.

But other than that the hospital is nice and the ward where she'll be is also nice and I know the ward manager!

It's a hard question if you don't want to do what the consultant asks of you, but with a population of about 60, 000 people you don't get much choice.

Sorry, but I hope that helps.

Margaret
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Margaret, thanks for that. I didn't understand how things worked on the IoM, and to be honest I still don't - British passports but different taxes, now an NHS that looks like ours but is different. :? But I wondered if what you said was the case, ie no choice. It's a bit tough when - as in my friend's case - what they want is to give you a type of anaesthetic you've been warned never to have unless your life absolutely depends on it! But I've heard of that sort of thing happening in the UK too - it's just here there is usually a way out. Anyway, I'm only trying to help an old friend...and now seems like I can't. :(

JK, thank you for the info; I'll look into it!