If you don`t ask, you don`t get!

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 21. Mar 2013, 11:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
After bad couple of days stuck indoors with hip playing silly beggars and giving way painfully without warning, I decided to pick up the phone.
I rang the Surgeon`s sec and asked if I could go on the cancellation list, even though I haven`t had a pre op yet. She gave me another number to ring, and the admissions person scared me to death saying "oo yes we have a cancellation next Monday, let me just check a few things". So 15 minutes later she rang back to let me know, yes there is a cancellation next week, on my Surgeon`s usual day, but as he is on leave the cancellation is now on someone elses list!!
Hey ho. She then said I can still go on the cancellation list, and has brought my pre op date forward to 2nd April so i am ok to go when my Surgeon is back on the 8th April. So a good result in my book, I have potentially brought my op forward by a few weeks, IF some poor person gets a cold etc and can`t have theirs!!
So after a disappointing phone call with the GP sugery today, when for the 2nd day they haven`t got my prescription ready, I have had a better phone call with the hospital.
I hope everyone is feeling as good as can be xx
NB

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    NB.. :shock: you are a brave lady..I know the pain is awful and you want this op quick but you really are brave...good for you...can you send some of it my way please.. :) we will be with you all the way I promise xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Barbara
    Brave?? or stupid!!?? I think I had just had enough of pain etc.. and thought what else can I do? I have been resting, taking the dullers, etc.... and still no let up with pain and limping like quasimodo!! so I picked up the phone. I did get a fright when she nearly told me next week though!!
    If I could sort it that we had our op`s at the same time I would Barbara so we could hold each other`s hands for moral support xx
    NB
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    That is good news NB. I think the longer you wait for an op, the more time you have to worry about it.
    Good luck,
    Numpty
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Great news NB, I'm with Numpty on this the less time you have to sit and dwell on things is good in my book, the quicker it's done the quicker once the healing proccess is by with, goodbye to pain in that area, good luck we will be with you all the way...........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Good on you NB! I remember the day before i got admitted for my knee replacement surgery I was being a chicken and actually thinking up excuses to cancel the surgery, so rang up saying I had a tickly cough but they said that was fine and to inform them if it got any worse!...there was no escape for me im afraid....
    You don't have long to wait now then...:-))

Elainexx
    Hi
    After bad couple of days stuck indoors with hip playing silly beggars and giving way painfully without warning, I decided to pick up the phone.
    I rang the Surgeon`s sec and asked if I could go on the cancellation list, even though I haven`t had a pre op yet. She gave me another number to ring, and the admissions person scared me to death saying "oo yes we have a cancellation next Monday, let me just check a few things". So 15 minutes later she rang back to let me know, yes there is a cancellation next week, on my Surgeon`s usual day, but as he is on leave the cancellation is now on someone elses list!!
    Hey ho. She then said I can still go on the cancellation list, and has brought my pre op date forward to 2nd April so i am ok to go when my Surgeon is back on the 8th April. So a good result in my book, I have potentially brought my op forward by a few weeks, IF some poor person gets a cold etc and can`t have theirs!!
    So after a disappointing phone call with the GP sugery today, when for the 2nd day they haven`t got my prescription ready, I have had a better phone call with the hospital.
    I hope everyone is feeling as good as can be xx
    NB
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Yes, it is better to just get it over with and then you can get on with getting better. I was talking myself in and out of my surgery right up until I walked through the door to the anaesthetic room! Well done for asking and maybe speeding things up.
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks Elaine and Frogmella
    I will still be nervous when the day comes, I remember tears rolling down my face as they put my spinal in last time! But I know it needs doing, so why wait longer when I am in pain now, and the op will help? No reason at all! (remind me of that when I am trying to escape on my op day!)
    NB
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I will remind you, don't worry. Of course you will be nervous - you wouldn't be human if you weren't. Sometimes we just have to be brave. You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs!
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Good on you for making that phone call. You shouldn't have to long to wait now. Get it over and done with. Getting rid of that rotten pain.

I really hope it will be really soon for you.
    Karen xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    It only takes a call to your consultant's/ Surgeons Secretary! I've been saying that for yonks! If I'm not happy with things like waiting times or want results I always call my Consultant's/Doctor's secretary. As NB says 'if you don't ask,you don't get!'
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    NB

Well I was exactly the same in fact was worse! I was clutching my cuddly dog Muttley as he put in the spinal and nearly cutting the blood supply off the theatre assistant's hand! I don't know what they thought of me but I was surprised I went through with that operation, many thought I wouldn't including me!

Elainexx
    Hi
    Thanks Elaine and Frogmella
    I will still be nervous when the day comes, I remember tears rolling down my face as they put my spinal in last time! But I know it needs doing, so why wait longer when I am in pain now, and the op will help? No reason at all! (remind me of that when I am trying to escape on my op day!)
    NB
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,942
    Options
    Hello Nearlybionic
    good for you i'm pleased you are having it earlier than you would have done.
    i will be there for you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx