Methotrexate Problems

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 19. Mar 2013, 15:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just got my next blood test results back from my rhuematology nurse, my ALT/AST has now increased yet again from 67 to now 103 and I may have to be taken off Methotrexate,I have my next blood test on Monday and have to ring for my results on the Wednesday after and if raised again I will be taken off.I have also had my folic acid increased to 5 days as I have been getting some upset stomaches and mouth ulcers.I know it will be for the best and I'm not sure what it will be replaced with as I didn't think to ask .I just hope this will all get sorted soon so I eventually get on right medication for me as I am getting tired of it all,I know it's finding the right one to suit you as we are all different.Will the extra folic acid lower this or is it completely something else if not does anyone have an idea what I would likely be put on instead if this happens.Thankyou.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This is why blood tests are so important and should be regularly done - yours have picked up a problem and that is a good thing. It seems that you may be having some real trouble in adjusting to the drug and for some that is the case. What dose of meth have you been taking? As for what next for you if you stop the meth, well, I dunno 'cos I don't know your medical history and I'm not your rheumatologist :wink: but my best guess (based on my experience of stopping meth) would be leflunomide. Try not to fret too much, getting the balance right in the early stages is sometimes not easy. All will be well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • shandy4greenday
    shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Thanks I am on 20mg and I have to start hydroxy had to put my prescription in was gonna do my meth as well but have enough for one more dose so thought it best to wait just in case I come off them,if all is well ill put it through.I have to wait to start taking my hydroxy till my mouth ulcer has gone,why do they have to be in the worst place ever it's agony got some bonjela today I'm surprised the whole neighbourhood didn't hear me when I put some on :lol: I will be so relieved when its gone,but at least my stomach is more settled today,I am so thankful for these blood tests too now I see why they are that important ,I've only had 2 since I started my Meth and already it is raising quite rapidly.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. Mouth ulcers are horrible aren't they. I used to get them with Meth, and terrible headaches, nausea and upset stomach. Now I've been taking them for about seven years, I only get problems if I take more than 20mg. I've never had any problems with Hydroxychloroquine, and also take Sulphasalazine with very few side effects. The problem is, I can't get my CRP below 35, still, that's better than it was, in the 100s :lol:
    I hope you find the right combination for you soon.
    Numpty