Research letter from National Joint Registry

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 21. Mar 2013, 10:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have just received a letter from the National Joint Registry(NJR), who I consented to when I had my 1st THR. It is asking for my participation in some research into hip dysplasia and why some hip problems occur. When you have a joint replaced, the surgeon informs the NJR of the reason for the joint replacement. In my case secondary OA due to congenital hip dysplasia.
They want people like me to consent to supply a saliva sample to compare DNA from patients with hip problemsto see if it differs from DNA of people without these hip problems. If they find parts of the DNA that affect the hip shape, this may allow them to develop ways to diagnose or treat the problem.
It is voluntary and anonymous, so I will not get my results unfortunately, but if it could help someone in the future I am happy to help. Esoecially as it is only a saliva sample needed!
Has anyone else got a letter?
NB

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi NB

I am registered with them for new knees so would not get that letter. If I had of done I would defo support the cause and send in a saliva sample.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Yes it all helps...the more research the better...hopefully very soon they will be able to stop this thing in its tracks...and help people in the future.
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    NB

I actually joined the NJR but for an orthocard for when and if i go abroad to explain why i would bleep at an airport...I think when you have hip operations they tend to give you stuff to do with NJR...I'd do the test, nowt lost eh?

Elainexx
    Hi
    I have just received a letter from the National Joint Registry(NJR), who I consented to when I had my 1st THR. It is asking for my participation in some research into hip dysplasia and why some hip problems occur. When you have a joint replaced, the surgeon informs the NJR of the reason for the joint replacement. In my case secondary OA due to congenital hip dysplasia.
    They want people like me to consent to supply a saliva sample to compare DNA from patients with hip problemsto see if it differs from DNA of people without these hip problems. If they find parts of the DNA that affect the hip shape, this may allow them to develop ways to diagnose or treat the problem.
    It is voluntary and anonymous, so I will not get my results unfortunately, but if it could help someone in the future I am happy to help. Esoecially as it is only a saliva sample needed!
    Has anyone else got a letter?
    NB
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    Options
    I joined the NJR a while ago,just waiting for confirmation letter etc but would quite happily be involved in any research if it was going to help in the future
    Eileen