Should I get second knee done now or later.

Options
barry2013
barry2013 Member Posts: 151
edited 24. Mar 2013, 15:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had my TKR done on my left knee 5 weeks ago, everything is going great. I was at my G.P.s yesterday re my diabites and we chatted about my TKR, we dicussed the pros and cons of getting my right knee done now or later. The knee does need doing but isn't giving any pain. My first thought was to get it over and done with. But the G.P.s idea of enjoying an active summer and getting the knee done late autumn, early winter has appeal as the rehabilitation will take place during the cold winter months, what would you do in my position.
Barry.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Reading what you have just said, if it was me in your position - defo go with what the gp suggested.

I had mine done in January two years apart so that I would feel well enough, to do gardening, mow the lawn, cycle, go walking and get on with my life by the time it was spring. :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I am hoping when my hips are done it will be mid winter...then I can enjoy summer...so I would go with your GP..you really have done well with that knee..let it get a little stronger I say... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It needs doing but isn't hurting? Crikey, I wish my knees were like that! :lol: I had two major surgeries done in late autumn and mid-winter and found the recovery far harder than the third one which was done around the time of Wimbledon. The first two involved short, gloomy days, grey weather, cold and dankness whereas the third involved longer days, sun, warmth and being able to sit outside. Whenever I get the chance to have my knees done then I shall make sure I get summer surgery for that reason.

We can't judge what's best for you but, given the situation you are currently facing, in your shoes I would wait until your new knee is fully-functioning and can therefore take the strain of a new replacement joint. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Yep, go with your gp. I had my THR in may(nearly 2 years ago now) and it ruined my summertime. But, at the end of the day, it's you that has to decide.
    Karen xx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    If your knee isn't giving you any pain, why does it need replacing? :?
  • barry2013
    Options

Hi Helen.
    According to my doctors, there is a lot of wear in the right knee and it will cause problems, hence the suggestion to have another TKR then I can fully get on with life.
    Barry.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    barry2013 wrote:

Hi Helen.
    According to my doctors, there is a lot of wear in the right knee and it will cause problems, hence the suggestion to have another TKR then I can fully get on with life.
    Barry.

I wondered why your surgeon was keen to operate too. Private/NHS surgeons normally prefer to leave a joint that is working okayish and without pain or much pain.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    If you don't need it done now why put yourself through it,it could be years and years before it needs doing ,someone who is desperate to have it done now could be missing out. Mig
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Barry, if it were me, I wouldn't have it done if it's not causing any pain. As mig says, it could be years and years before it causes problems. And although we don't like to think about it, TKRs aren't without risk. It's major surgery, for a start, and things can go wrong. Then, only 80% of people are happy with their new knees - official figures, look them up. That means one in five aren't! You and I and several others on here have been lucky so far, but that's not guaranteed.

My GP was at pains to convince me that I could end up worse - with stiff knees, knees worse than before, or even - though rarely these days - dying as a result of the op! Did I REALLY want it done, he asked. It was not something to be done lightly.

On what I know, and I'm not an expert of course, I can hardly believe your doctors want you to have a TKR because your knee might cause pain the the future! That's true of....well, probably half the world at our sort of age, carried to its logical conclusion.

Your choice of course. But I wouldn't take even a 20% risk of swapping a perfectly good knee (albeit bad on Xrays) for a possibly much worse one or other problems.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    mig wrote:
    If you don't need it done now why put yourself through it,it could be years and years before it needs doing ,someone who is desperate to have it done now could be missing out. Mig

Good point, Mig.

Elna x

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Barry

The thing that stood out for me in your post is the fact your'e not in pain? I am sure ortho's only operate because of severe pain the patient is having and that is the main aim to get rid of that pain. Why you want your other one doing when you are not in pain is a mystery to me......I would leave this if this is so and when the pain kicks in then is the time...Sorry but I feel this is jumping the gun a wee bit here...

Elainexx
    barry2013 wrote:
    I had my TKR done on my left knee 5 weeks ago, everything is going great. I was at my G.P.s yesterday re my diabites and we chatted about my TKR, we dicussed the pros and cons of getting my right knee done now or later. The knee does need doing but isn't giving any pain. My first thought was to get it over and done with. But the G.P.s idea of enjoying an active summer and getting the knee done late autumn, early winter has appeal as the rehabilitation will take place during the cold winter months, what would you do in my position.
    Barry.
  • barry2013
    Options
    mig wrote:

That's a very fair point, thanks for pointing it out, you tend to get wrap up in your own problems and forget others.
    Barry.
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    Options
    Barry,
    I would go with what everyone else is saying.If it isn't giving you any pain I would just leave it for the time being but if you did decide to go ahead like the doc. said, in autumn time and have your rehab. during winter.
    Eileen
  • lakedistrictgardener
    lakedistrictgardener Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Barry

I am in a similar situation. I could walk a couple of hours without problems. But very occasionally I could not put my right foot to the ground. This would last a couple of weeks and then I would be ok for a few months. I could climb mountains, but coming down was uncomfortable at best. My surgeon was sympathetic to the fact that hill walking and long distance walking have always been a big part of my life. As my problems were bound to get worse, he said he was happy to do a TKR now while my muscles are strong, and there fore my chances of a good result much increased. Replacements were only undertaken in the past when pain was severe, expectations were low as pain relief was the main criteria. Foreward thinking surgeons now want to give us an active, as well as pain free life. I expect to have my LTKR in aprox 12 months.
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hi Barry

It's not just pain that's the issue, it is function. Despite what the Doctors say about the wear in your knee, you have to decide for yourself if it is working okay at the moment. Is it stopping you from doing anything you really want to do? Keep a diary of how much that knee is giving you problems at the moment. If it isn't really a lot of trouble, leave it until it is! As Helen says, if the knee isn't troubling you a great deal now, surgery could make things worse, at least initially. However, if the knee isn't functioning correctly (ie doesn't bend enough, doesn't straighten enough) then even if it is not hurting you now, it is likely to cause other problems in your body - strain in the quads, strain in the back, strain in the other (new fixed) leg as you compensate for the poor function.

Only you can tell really whether you think the knee is bad enough to need surgery now.
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Options
    A lady at work had her knee done and no problems. Then she had the second one done and had a lot of problems with it and had to give up work. Don't have it done unless it is causing you pain, you might regret it.
    x
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Before I had mine done, I asked LOADS of people who'd had knees done how it was for them - friends, acquaintances, people I met by chance. I did this for several years. The answers came out much like the official figures - 80% of people very happy; the others, miserable, often much worse off. I met one woman who was still walking with crutches and not driving a year after the op. A lady who lives near me had both knees done at the same time, as I did - one is fine a year later, but she still has lots of problems with the other one. A very active lady who wanted them done mainly because she could no longer play tennis had a lot of trouble and a very long recovery time - though I think it worked out more or less OK in the end, not sure (and I don't know if she's back to playing tennis or not). Someone said to me to not have it done unless I absolutely had to; she wasn't happy with hers.

It's easy for surgeons to think I new knee will be great; they don't end up being the two people in every ten who end up no better off, and often worse. And some surgeons can be pretty gung-ho.

I'm very happy with mine, and I consider myself very fortunate. But not everyone is so lucky....

Ultimately, it has to be each person's decision, and depends a lot on your own attitude to risk.
  • barry2013
    Options
    I am seeing my consultant this Wednesday for my 6 week post op check. Everything with the knee going well, Not sure if this is because I am one of the lucky ones, or because I have had it done while only 60 and having led active life. I hardly have any pain can walk easily, started playing short mat bowls and am up to 20 mins every other day on the exercise bike. I really have no idea what to do about second knee, everyone's advice has been really useful, intend to ask loads of questions on Wednesday.
    Would just like to say a huge thank you to everyone on here who has taken time to post, It's been a huge support.
    Best wishes.
    Barry.