paying for a social life

Options
suzu1982
suzu1982 Member Posts: 21
edited 25. Mar 2013, 17:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
i went out for a drink last night for the first time since new years eve. and boy am i paying for it today!
i don't have a hang over, i only had 4 drinks, but i am in agony from being out in the cold and sitting on low sofas and hard chairs.
it doesn't seem fair that being out of the house and having fun for the first time in ages should cause so much pain.
my friends are total sweethearts though, they made sure i always had a seat and stayed in pubs that meant i didn't have to walk too far. i had a damn good night, and as my husband said "you're going to be sore tomorrow anyway, so you might as well get some fun in tonight"
so i'm curled up on the sofa with coffee and a hot water bottle, feeling like i'm paying for having fun, but the fun was worth it.
S*
where there's life, there's hope

Comments

• ToastierShorti
    ToastierShorti Member Posts: 11
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Glad you had a nice time.
    And that you are being gentle with yourself while you recover.

I'll let you into a secret...
    I can't cope with being cold
    I take a hot water bottle wrapped in a lovely cushion cover out with me hidden in my bag (okay, so its not nightclub size handbag!)
    When it cools down, I buy a pot of tea and ask for a jug of boiling water to top it up... if I'm not brave enough to ask outright :lol:

I even have one at work on my lap and swap hands to help stop them hurting :oops:

Take care

x x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Good for you Suzu, I am so glad you enjoyed your night out, yes to me having a lovely time with my friends outweighs the pain I am going to be in the next day, hope your hottie does the trick...........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I am so pleased you had such a good time, and what lovely friends you have there....sometimes payback is worth it..I do hope you feel better soon ..ready for next time xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Yup, that's payback, it has to be done now and then, or we'd go insane :lol:
    Personally, I think if you had a good time, it was well worth it.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • suzu1982
    Options
    it was totally worth it, and tbh yesterday was so cold that i didn't really want to do anything anyway lol.
    going to plan another night soon, as soon as the weather warms up a little bit.
    S*
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    This is when you find out who your real friends are isnt it?
    So glad you enjoyed yourself.
    You've just got to get yourself into the mindset that if you enjoy yourself....there might {probably will} be payback the next day but it is worth it. You have to get out when you can.
    I always think if I feel a bit better and do too much in the house and have payback the next day.....that is NOT worth it :lol::lol:
    But going out and enjoying yourself is.
    Love
    Hileena
  • chrissiewissie
    chrissiewissie Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi Suzu
    I know exactly what you mean, I'm in my early 30s and I still like to go out occasionally but always know I'm going to be in agony for a day or two after. But my attitude is similar to yours in that I'm damned if I'm going to let arthritis take everything from me. It's had all my pretty shoes, long shopping trips etc but I've still got to live my life and enjoy it, so I do. But yeah, the payback is a killer!
    I also think that positive state of mind helps you deal with this thing a lot better than you would if you weren't able to see your mates or have the odd night out. Good that you have some good friends who understand and support you, I do too and they always make sure we stick to one or two bars where we're definitely going to get seats.
    Cxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is tough, that's for sure, but I pre-load with pain relief and keep the moving around to a minimum. When it's my turn to get them in I pass the money to someone who can walk and carry a tray (a lost art for me :wink: ) I prefer now to go out earlier in the evening so I can head home before things get too busy (and noisy) but then I'm an old bag of 54. Toastier's idea sounds a good 'un, I wonder if bar staff would pop one's wheat bag into a microwave for a re-warm? Probably not due to 'elf 'n'safety. :roll: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sallyann14
    sallyann14 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    good for you Suzu. My idea of a good night is to have my "girlies" round and we have one of those 2 for £10 M & S deals. I always have it at my house as i have the "big cooker" ! that way i never get cold, i can wear my slippers and turn the heating up if needed....but i still suffer the next day, not because my bones ache but because of the bongo drums that pound my head the next day...these meals come with wine and it would be rude not to drink it !! xx Sally. :lol:
  • suzu1982
    Options
    well sally, it would be very rude to have people round and not drink the wine, now wouldn't it lol? :D:D