disappointing rheumy appt

Options
maggsy
maggsy Member Posts: 25
edited 22. Mar 2013, 10:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi
well i went for my rheumy appt on weds what a waste of time that was. i have decided that either i speak a different language or the consultants just don't listen to what your saying. i don't see the point in asking me a question and then they ignore my answer. I have OA in most of my joints and they have been really bad since oct i had an x ray done on my right knee in feb which came back normal which surprised me and my GP as i had previously had an MRI scan done on it in 1994 which showed then that the joint would need replacing. My GP refered me back to rheumy to try and find out why things have got so bad so quickly, as now i haveing severe problems walking, also i can use my hands very well and so on. the Gp advised me to write everything down and hand it to consultant this way nothing would be forgotton, well as my husband said we should of saved our time and paper as she didn't even look at it. the end result was i x rays on my hands feet and neck and she will send results to Gp. her advice was to me i need ti adjust my lifestyle to my OA. she said she will also ask GP to refer me to OT at hospital but this was only suggested once my husband mentioned it. so the upshot of it all is just get on with it well now i have had my rant i will go and get a cup of tea
hope everyone else is wellish

Maggsy x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Maggsy
    I had a rheumy appointment like that a few years ago...dont you just come out feeling deflated it didnt hit me straight away but the more I thought my blood began to boil.....you must bite the bullet and either see your GP or hospital and ask to see another one....hard I know but you go for it...and don't forget they get paid a very good wage ...
    Good Luck xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    In my experience rheumatologists don't usually deal with OA as that has a different cause to the auto-immune types (which IS their territory). My rheumatologist (who treats my PsA) leaves the OA to my GP and vice-versa. The former gives me nasty meds to take whilst the latter gives me anti-inflammatories and pain dullers. Is the thinking that you might have an auto-immune problem too?

It's realistic to say that there's not much to be done for OA, it is a matter of exercise to help keep muscles stronger then tablets to help with the rest of it but it's not easy to live with, is it? Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben