Can anyone advise please?

Options
dillydream
dillydream Member Posts: 75
edited 22. Mar 2013, 12:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just recently i have been trying to get on top of another ear infection. I`m on Embrel so i had to stop my injections and go onto Anti-b`s again. I went back to the Dr. who assured me that the infection had gone and told me to restart the Embrel. The first two were fine, no problems. Within an hour or so of doing the third i was hit for six with a pounding headache and throat on fire. It also sapped every ounce of energy i had again and i`ve been in bed since Tuesday evening.
Went back to the Surgery on Wednesday morning and saw the on call Dr.He wasn`t interested really. He told me my temp was still raised and said he thought there was some kind of viral activity going on somewhere. But then he said "DON`t stop your Embrel again, keep doing the injections." I should do one today but i`m terrified that if i still have the virus it would be the wrong thing to do.
What do those of you that are injecting Anti TNF do when you have a virus?
I just read DD`s post and feel so sorry, I hope you feel better soon DD, you are always so supportive on here
Best Wishes
DillyDream

Comments

• wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi there ,sorry to hear you are having a rough time ,the doctors reply seems to be the standard when they dont know what it is ,theres always a blooming virus to blame ,i dont know how much pain your in with your condition but if i feel not well i just dont take my methotrexate and go onto it again when i physically feel okay ie no headaches or sore throat ect ,dont know if thats the done thing or thats what your supposed to do but i do it anyway and just tell the rheumatologist when i go for my appointment ,id phone the rheumatology nurse and ask advice ,dont know if you have that facility ,we can phone ours at the western general in edinburgh and they always phone you back and if there is cause for concearn they will either see you if the clinic is on or get the oncall rheumatologist to discuss with our gp any appropriate action ,hope this helps you and you are able to speak with someone to make a decision x
  • dillydream
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Wynnie,
    At the moment my pain is quite good so i`m lucky in that respect. I just think it may make matters worse if i inject today.
    I`m feeling a bit brighter at the moment and have managed to sit up for a little while.
    I will ring the Rheumatology emergency number and ask for a call back , but it may too late for today.
    Thanks again
    Dillydream
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    dillydream wrote:
    Thanks for the advice Wynnie,
    At the moment my pain is quite good so i`m lucky in that respect. I just think it may make matters worse if i inject today.
    I`m feeling a bit brighter at the moment and have managed to sit up for a little while.
    I will ring the Rheumatology emergency number and ask for a call back , but it may too late for today.
    Thanks again
    Dillydream

Hi there, sorry to hear you're not feeling the best. I have always been told with any ANTI-TNF drug to not inject if I don't feel right. My doctor sounds just like yours and is clueless about the medications and the impact it can have if you inject while you have a virus/infection. Calling the hospital helpline and not injecting till you get a call back would be my advice. It doesn’t really matter if you inject one, two or three days late. The Enbrel will take months to exit the body, you just might feel symptoms coming back which should soon go away once you inject again.
    Just a small note, not trying to scare you or anything and I’m sure you’re aware that while on drugs such as Enbrel you should keep an eye on any infection or virus and not let doctors just write it off as something minor that will go away on its own. I’m sure the rheumatology nurses will be able to help you out anyway and advise you on what to do.
  • dillydream
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply,
    I think you are right, it wasn`t what i expected to be told by the Doctor. I rang the Rheumatology line but they are only running a limited service until Monday.
    I am not going to inject until i feel well again and i will get another appointment at the Surgery again before i do. I`ve got bloods next Wednesday again so I will wait for those results too.
    Yes, i was warned to be aware that any infection/ virus should be monitored carefully when on Anti-TNF and that`s why i was so concerned about how poorly i was this time and how casually i was dismissed by the Dr. :shock:
    Thanks again for the advice
    Best Wishes
    Dillydream
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello dillydream
    Sorry I cant help with any advice I haven't a clue on those meds, but I do hope you get some help very soon...and get on the best side of that virus..(((((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara