tension headaches with arthritis in the neck

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 25. Mar 2013, 05:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello forum members

Does anyone else suffer with tension headaches caused by arthritis in the neck? And if so, what do you do to ease the pain? I can manage okay during the day, but they seem to get worse when I lay down to go to sleep.

Janet

Comments

• suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I get these, I use the roll on migraine relief on my temples, and then a hot water bottle on my neck. A massage is a good idea to loosen the muscles a little if you can get someone to do. I also have muscle relaxants as my muscles spasm. At night I use amitryptyline as it helps to relax the muscles and enable me to sleep.

It is annoying, and it is best to try and nip it in the bud before it gets too bad. I stretch the muscles and do my neck exercises from the physio. When mine was really bad and I lost movement, the physio gave me acupuncture to free the muscles and it really helped and lasted a long time.

I am sure others will be along with tips as a few of us have bad necks. A good pillow is essential.
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Thank you for replying Suzygirl.

Regarding pillows, would you say feathers or foam is best for neck problems?
    A friend recommended a memory foam pillow and I paid £30 for one, but I found it so uncomfortable that I ended up worse off. I do like to snuggle into a nice comfy pillow, especially during this rotten cold weather we've been getting.

Janet x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I have had problems with my neck for many years due to scoliosis(curvature of the spine) and have found that no one pillow suits all the time.I have 2 artificial filling and 2 feather pillows, one thick and one thin of each. Most of the time the thick feather over the thin polyester is OK but there are times when I have to play around with the combos to find something to suit ( or at least be tolerable on a bad day!)I mostly sleep on my side so need some basic support to stop my head ending up below my shoulder and straining the neck, but the feather one means I can make a nice 'nest' so that I don't slide off the other pillow. It helps that I don't have to share a bed so I can keep all the pillows to hand, which is also convenient for breakfast in bed!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Just reading this because I've been getting dizzy and wondered if arthur was affecting my neck. Don't get headaches though. I too sleep on my own so keep a selection of pillows. When one feels uncomfy, I swap them around. I had to smile Daffy when you said they come in handy for breakfast in bed. Me too. :lol:
    Christine
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Janet,

My doctor has just put me on Amitriptyline for the same problem.

He did say that that as my headaches were always on my forehead it probably wasn't the arthritis in my neck (I have very little movement) - I would get more pain at the back of my head if that was the cause. He said it was nerve pain. When my headaches start, whatever time of night, I come downstairs make a hot drink and sleep sitting up with a blanket and the radio on very low. My headache always stands a quicker chance of going then.

Why don't you have a chat with your GP.

Luv
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I have found with my neck that the headaches do start at the back of the head. I am now taking diazepam, which doesn't stop the pain but I dont seem to care as much. At night, as you have said is the worst, so I have just bought myself and hubby memory pillows. We shall see. But even with them I cannot lay on my left side, otherwise I am in agony. I have started doing excercises but to early to say. And my movement is getting worse in the neck.

I do hope that you can get some relief from this. Let us know how you get on.
    Karen xx