how do you deal with the cold?

Options
suzu1982
suzu1982 Member Posts: 21
edited 27. Mar 2013, 05:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi everyone
I just wanted to check in and hope that the weather isn't effecting you all too badly.
I'm having a duvet day, complete with hot chocolate, hot water bottle and cheesy movies :)
How do you cope with the cold? I hope you are all taking things carefully and taking care of yourselves :)
S*
where there's life, there's hope

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    With great difficulty :lol: is the answer from me.
    Loads of hot drinks and my wheat packs etc.....bed socks are a must,
    Hope everyone is as OK as they can be
    Love
    Hileena
  • chrissiewissie
    chrissiewissie Member Posts: 75
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Loads of hot drinks and my wheat packs etc.....bed socks are a must,
    Hope everyone is as OK as they can be
    Love
    Hileena

Bed socks are a life saver aren't they!! Woke up today and the heating hadn't come on so the house was a heady 11 degrees! I wondered why I felt/looked like an 80 year old getting out of bed!
  • Rowantree
    Rowantree Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Move!! I live in an unseated house and its too expensive to have the plug-in radiators on for long, or in more tan one room! And it's snowing again. 8degrees in my house. So cold. I have oa in my hands and the hurt!
    I'm hoping to move to a centrally heated house. Mmmm warmth!! But it's taking so long it's nearly spring!,!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I stay in doors and hibernate! Wear warm socks and boot slippers. Wear wool leggings and layers of tops till warm. I have the heating on for half an hour and warm the house up and keep doing that so the house stays warm.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Whack the heating up and wear thermal socks and fur-lined slippers. My feet feel it the most. I have to brave the snow tonight as I have an engagement party to go to.

So much for Spring, eh?! :?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I have 6 wheatbags on the go...my hubby wears the carpet out going back and fro to the microwave..bless him... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    We have been without central heating for nearly a week now. Boiler chose a great time to pack up.
    Hopefully tomorrow the plumbers will arrive with a new one, thats if they get here with all this snow.

Meanwhile
    Bedsocks
    Thick dressing gown
    and immersion heater for hot water, plug in heaters and gas fire on. No doubt the heating bills will be way up high, but we have to keep warm somehow, with RA and OA, my joints dont do well in the cold weather.

The bathroom and downstairs loo and kitchen are like fridges.
    Brrrr
    Pretty fed up now.

:(

Kath
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Oh Kath.....thats awful. We all know how the cold affects us. Its bad enough if you havent got OA/RA.
    What a time for it to pack up
    I hope they come tomorrow and get it sorted for you
    Love
    Hileena
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Thanks Hileena

and yes.....................
    we got a new boiler fixed yesterday and all done in the day, they were really efficient.
    Made us realise how old and decrepit the old boiler was, we are warm as toast.

Kath
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    Options
    i hate the snow and any cold whatsoever i go out like someone on an artic expedition :lol: ,i get so cold and i could cry with it ,on the other hand i cant stand the sun either it brings me out in blisters ,i like a nice warm day or a nice warm house in winter ,i will definately down grade the older i get as this house wont do me as regards heating ,its open plan and i feel every draught ,its definately on my to do list ,small and cosy will do me ...keep warm x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Give me cold over heat any day. It's far easier to get and keep warm than it is to cool down. I guess I'm naturally a hot person, I've been going out wearing a skirt or jeans, a T shirt and sweatshirt whilst others are bundled up to the nth degree. And still I drip! :)

Apart from the OA joints I feel much better and brighter in the cold, all the moulds in the air disappear and that suits me down to the ground. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben