Methotrexate Injection

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 24. Mar 2013, 10:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have decided that I no longer want to take Methotrexate by tablet and would like to have injection instead so I have decided to discontinue taking it as I am having too many problems with my mouth due to the tablets.I know you all will not advise on this as the best course of action and to wait just a little longer.I have my blood test tomorrow and I have to ring Rheumatology tomorrow and even if my bloods have gone back down I still wish to come off them.I would just like to switch over to injection form so I get less problems it is only temporary unless my bloods are up again then I will have to come off them anyway.I will speak to Rheumatology to arrange injection if my bloods are fine.Hopefully it wouldn't be for long I just don't want to keep getting problems in the mouth as I am unable to take my Hydroxy either still.

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I really think you should wait and see what your rheumy says on mon
    What day do you take your mtx?
    If its today you can leave it till mon but not sure how long over the date it could be 48hrs
    It will say in the medical info with your tablets or if you have a friendly pharmacist who is open today what they suggest
    In lucky I have no side effects with the tablets but do know the injection is more effective so I will be asking my rheumy in april
    Take care
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello shandy
    Sorry I cant help with any advice , but I just want to wish you well with whatever you decide...its not easy when you are having awful side effects...please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • shandy4greenday
    shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
    Options
    I take mine on Monday's so wanna delay taking them at least as I need my blood results as well so if I high I dont wanna take this weeks either.I will get some advise as well as really would rather come off them but if they ask if I can hold out just a little longer I guess I can try even though I just rather have something else now or injection.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm not sure if they will put you onto injections straight away, you've only been on the tablet meth for a very short time. The injected stuff may not be the answer to the mouth ulcers etc either, it could be that it is the drug itself that is not suiting you but, as I said, it's very early days. The injections are a nuisance unless you are able / willing / allowed to do them yourself (but even then they're a bind). You also have a much stronger dose of the drug as digestion is not playing a part any more. This may not be the answer to your trouble so don't be surprised if the rheumatologist says no. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    i dont know what side effects you v been having or how long youv been taking it. but i know that things like triedness and nausea often settle down after a few weeks. i was getting groin abscesses when i started the methotrexate (within the first few months), but thats all stopped now iv been on a stable dose a while.
    yea id defo ring someone and say what your doing/ask first.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I know how distressing mouth ulcers can be. I used to get them terribly when I first started to take Meth, some seven years ago. Now I only get them occasionally, usually when my dose is increased to 25mg -30mg. If I stay on 20 mg, it's all right.
    I also take Sulphasalazine, Hydroxychloroquine and Prednisolone, along with all the other anti inflammatory, stomach protectors, folic acid, pain-dullers and so on, and so forth. I've also tried Leflunomide and two Anti TNFs none of which worked for me, in fact, my bloods got considerably worse on one of the Anti TNFs. Anyway, what I'm getting at is, my Rheumy, wants me to try injected Meth, because my RA isn't controlled, but is struggling to get funding for it. So you see, unfortunately, it's not always as simple as just saying you want to try something.
    I'm sure different heath services in different regions are, well, different :oops: and I hope you have better luck than me.