Does humira work for you?

Options
ichabod6
ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
edited 27. Mar 2013, 18:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am involved with Arthritis Care in making a submission to
NICE about the earlier and wider prescription of humira to
benefit those of us blessed with rheumatoid arthritis.
I feel it would strengthen my statement to say that a given number
of posters on this relatively small forum say it works for them.
I would of course orally update my statement when I appear
before the NICE committee.
So please tell me, does humira work for you?

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello ichabod6
    Sorry I cant help, but you keep up the good work and hopefully someone will be along that is on humira.
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    ichabod6 wrote:
    I am involved with Arthritis Care in making a submission to
    NICE about the earlier and wider prescription of humira to
    benefit those of us blessed with rheumatoid arthritis.
    I feel it would strengthen my statement to say that a given number
    of posters on this relatively small forum say it works for them.
    I would of course orally update my statement when I appear
    before the NICE committee.
    So please tell me, does humira work for you?
    Been a strange one for me, when I first took the drug it didn’t work. Then I took Rituximab which failed, I then took humira again with no response. I then got put on a higher dose of humira 1x weekly injection and it began to work. It worked for around 3 years and then suddenly stopped. Just come off the humira last month to try out another drug.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 25. Mar 2013, 14:19
    Options
    Hello Ichabod

Humira worked well for me for about a year and a half, after which time I became allergic to it. But for the relatively short time I took it it really did help.

Tilly
  • ichabod6
    Options
    I'll take this as two yesses.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi ,I've been on humira for just 6 months I felt some benefit after the first one ,its got better as time has gone on.Mig
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Well just to give a bit of balance, I have'nt noticed much of a difference since being on it just over 3 months but it has been explained to me, mostly by folk on here that of course it won't change any damage that has already been done. For this reason, folk should be allowed access to it much earlier than at present.
  • ichabod6
    Options
    Two more yesses.
  • Milly8
    Milly8 Member Posts: 114
    Options
    I have noticed a big difference in the quality of my life since starting humira.
    Had to stop it to have op but back on it now but not quite as good as it was before op but I am sure it's just needs time to kick in again.
    Bye for now
    Milly
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    I was put onto Humira in 2010 but too many side effects for me after 4 months and I didnt feel any benefit either.

The next Anti-TNF was Rituximab in 2011 and the next infusion in 2012 has done nothing for me so the next one is going to be Tocilizumab but due to recent findings after a colonoscopy and endoscopy to check out anaemia probs, not sure if that is going to happen, as Tocilizumab is not recommended for stomach problems. I have an ulcer and hiatus hernia :(
    Hope Humira works for you as it is looking from some of the posts that it can work well for some.

Fingers crossed for you - good luck
    Kath
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    I was put on it in February 2012 and it did not work for me :cry:

I have too much damage but i was ready to do anything that would help in any little way

Lily
  • ichabod6
    Options
    Hello Lily,

Would you agree that humira should be prescribed earlier
    than as hitherto been the case?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I don't have RA, ony PsA but I'm with Lily - I was given it far too late for any noticeable difference to be appreciated. I suspect that if I had been granted earlier access to any anti TNF I wouldn't be in the mess I am now. I try to take comfort in the fact that the humira is slowing any further joint damage but the increasing level of OA would hint otherwise. I cede that it's worked / working but not as I would like.

Surely cost is going to be the problem - I've been told that humira costs between £8,000 and £10,000 per annum. We're expensive people to treat but well-worth every penny. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I started Humira on October 16th 2008. It has worked from that first injection.

I do however get frequent chest infections and coughs so have to stop taking Humira injections for weeks at a time and then the pain and inflammation increase significantly. Usually once I restart with the Humira I get back on track within weeks however recently the Humira hasn't been so effective.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I'm afraid it's a no from me, I was on it for just over a year, and it didn't do a thing for me.
    Numpty
  • Buka
    Buka Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I started on Humira in Dec 2008 and by Sept 2009 I was so much better. I went on feeling so well that I decided to have some surgery on my badly messed up feet in Feb 2011. I stopped the Humira for a few weeks and when I returned to it after surgery it just didn't work anymore. I came off it after persevering for 9 months and went fo a rituximab infusion next - that didn't work either. Now back on the Humira again but with a small dose of prednisolone as well. Once more in a much better place again but now I'm due two new knees asap. You can imagine how worried I am about coming off the Humira again! I wont go under the knife until it becomes unbearable. So all in all it does give me a much better quality of life some of the time - its just a little unpredictable.

Buka