Painful and swollen hands and fingers

Options
pringle
pringle Member Posts: 17
edited 28. Mar 2013, 05:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has any one any tips on how to get swelling down on fingers my forth finger is swollen that the knuckle is now starting to rub on my third finger and making it red and sore I am supposed to be getting some gloves from the Hospital but my appointment has been cancelled twice the next on is not till May 22

Comments

• valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Pringle - I too am suffering with swollen index finger, very painful especially when it gets cold - at moment I am sitting with a hot water bottle on my back and resting my hand on it as well - the heat definitely eases it a bit. I will be interested to see if anyone has any ideas. I am so looking forwad to warmer weather ha ha ha ......whenever that will be x Hope your day improves.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Pringle, sore and swollen fingers are a familiar trial!!!!! :?
    I wonder if you have contact with an Occupational Therapist-they can give you the gloves you need- though my OT says they will only give out 1 pair per patient because of the cost, then you have to buy your own. The gloves can be bought from lots of websites, I think my current pair cost around £40 including postage, but they have helped keep the swelling down on my hands, which in turn is said to prevent or at least reduce some of the hand deformities we get.

Hope you get the help you need soon.

Deb
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    Options
    oh ive never heard of these gloves what do they do exactly ,would be well worth the money if they worked ,do tell
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    They are basically compression gloves-I don't think that we are supposed to name brands on this site, but I put it into google and there are lots of different kinds pop up. Do you have a rheumatology nurse that you could ring and ask for a recommendation? If you do she could perhaps refer you to an OT for some help- they are knowledgeable about all kinds of gadgets for people with wonky hands! :?

Deb
  • pringle
    pringle Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies
    The occupational Therapist had order some of these gloves last year :roll: then I got put on a core stability class for Fibromyalgia for 6 week , in the mean time my appointment with O/T has been cancelled twice , I then got a phone call out the blue a couple of weeks ago to ask how I was doing , I told her not very good she then made appointment for the 3 April , a week later I received a letter to say it had been cancelled :x yet again till May 22 so I phoned them up and ask if I could collect then, no was the reply so what do I do in the mean time my fingers really hurt, was then told i'll ask the O/T to ring you , as she done NO
    Do you have to pay for these gloves even if you are over 60
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you get the gloves from the hospital then no, you don't pay, but if you buy them privately then yes, you do. There are all kinds available and in a range of prices, my advice would be to go cheap first to see if they help. My mum bought me some neoprene ones (I think they cost about ten pounds) and I've found them of no help at all but each to their own. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben