Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Uphill Struggle

elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
edited 28. Mar 2013, 11:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I had my first interview today since having my TKR 5 months ago. It was a for a local housing association and didn't go too bad, did typed letter test but then onto the dreaded 10 questions that start off with the first liner "so tell me about yourself" I hate that, just be specific! I answered what i could, do you cope under pressure, part of a team, etc then they asked me if it was bad weather and burst pipes etc, how I would cope with that working with the repairs manager as we had a specific budget....I couldnt answer it and didn't want to fluff it so said I had no experience of that...I knew anyway that today was interview experience, my illness wasn't even mentioned which in a way was puzzling but as they didn't bring up the subject neither did I.
Also was supposed to get help, interview techniques from someone in The Shaw Trust, saw her last week and she looked at my CV, promised to meet again to brush up on mock interviews but never followed it up...She did mention to me though as we met as jobcentre and I have auto immune disease, my tubes were all stuffed up and I found it hard to breath through my nose, also the car I could only get parked for an hour and she wanted about 2 hours but she didnt say that prior to appointment. She called on tuesday saying she had streaming cold and that also my general health concerned her as explained before my tubes, my knee was stiff.
So I am feeling a bit in fact a lot more than crap. This knee doesn;t seem to have rid me of the pain I had before...When I get up from sitting on couch I am as sore and stiff as hell. My ligaments hurt, I still stumble, it gives way, I can't walk any further or stand any longer on it.....Ive seen surgical registrar after my 6 weeks check up and he told me the ligaments are still healing, but will this ever get better, others on here who have had the same operation later than me can go on exercise bikes longer or walk longer.....I get told at home too Im always going on about it and to accept i have a false knee that's just how it is.
With no prospect of getting a job, low on confidence, ESA been turned down and appealing but know have little chance of winning as they are failing people I know much worse than me, its seems its either get out to work (I don't feel fit enough yet but don't feel like im so weak can't do anything)....For the first time since my operation Im wondering has it been the right thing? I havent had any money for the whole of this month and how the government think this system is right is beyond me...No wonder people get desolate...

Elainexx

Comments

  • NumptydumptyNumptydumpty Posts: 6,494
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Elaine, I'm so sorry you're feeling so down. You really do seem to be "up against it" at the moment. You have been through a lot, and now have Atos to contend with, so little wonder you feel low and frustrated!
    This was just your first interview, I'm sure you'll get to be more comfortable and relaxed about things. Now you have an idea of the kind of questions you'll be asked, you'll be better prepared in the future.
    It does seem silly having to go to interviews, when you're obviously not feeling fit enough, and I admire you for trying.
    Good luck, and take care,
    Numpty
  • bubbadogbubbadog Posts: 5,852
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Elaine, At least you can say I have got through my 1st interview! And you know what to expect. I know you have no choice because of those weasels at the ESA turning you down so you have to go for interviews, plus your waiting for your appeal to come through this all must be making your body feel worse. I think your doing amazing and now you have experience from the 1st interview you will be ready for anymore interviews you have arranged. Stay strong we are all behind you sending good vibes.
  • tkachevtkachev Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm glad the lady was concerned about your health, just wish ATOS were too.

    It can't have been easy going for the interview knowing how unwell you feel and with the uncertainty regarding the forthcoming appeal. It is hard to know how honest to be about your health too.
    You are intelligent and well spoken so you should you do well at an interview. Its just a case of finding the right opportunity but I know that is easier said than done in the current economic climate.

    It is a mad system and a lot of pressure on people who are clearly unwell. But well done for giving it a go.

    Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

    Define yourself........

    Harvey Fierstein
  • wynniewynnie Posts: 117
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    its the worst thing any government has done ever forby the poll tax ,its horrendous and every interview that i see them giving they say they are doing us a favour by allowing us the privilage of being able to work ,do they really think that we are ever doing all this pain and crap on purpose so we can have no work life !!!!,id gladly work 60 hours a week if id a healthy pain free body ,,id love a social life with my friends all dressed up and out on the town, but sadly thats all days gone past unless you can go out on the town with joggy bottoms and trainers the only attire i can comfortably wear ,
    i hate this atos thing with a passion and im still waiting on any reply from my forms being sent in and the medical at my doctors ,they also got a letter from my rheumatologist and its now over a month ago ,still nothing im expecting to be in the same boat as you and i will fight it all the way as well ,we are all with you on this one and hope somethings sorted positive for you soon x
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Numpty

    I do feel as if im in a rock and a hard place right now...Ive had my operation and lots of people think that's the end of the story....Im fit for work but im also like a rusty old nail who has not been utilised for a while now...I have to apply for jobs and appear fighting fit what other option do I have....
    I feel drained..

    Elainexx

    quote="Numptydumpty"]Hi Elaine, I'm so sorry you're feeling so down. You really do seem to be "up against it" at the moment. You have been through a lot, and now have Atos to contend with, so little wonder you feel low and frustrated!
    This was just your first interview, I'm sure you'll get to be more comfortable and relaxed about things. Now you have an idea of the kind of questions you'll be asked, you'll be better prepared in the future.
    It does seem silly having to go to interviews, when you're obviously not feeling fit enough, and I admire you for trying.
    Good luck, and take care,
    Numpty[/quote]
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Bubba

    It was my first interview and I couldn't take my crutch or walking stick so Im sitting there trying not to massage my stiff leg and answer the questions...I wouldn't say Im more prepared for more interviews they always seem to ask questions I cannot answer freely, so I fall down...I do know however that I am an outsider and was picked because I ticked the equality box too...
    The appeal will get turned down very soon, only lodged it on monday and sent it off, have had no money since 1st March, how on earth would I survive if didn't have family?
    I try to stay strong but today im wavering...

    Elainexx
    bubbadog wrote:
    Hi Elaine, At least you can say I have got through my 1st interview! And you know what to expect. I know you have no choice because of those weasels at the ESA turning you down so you have to go for interviews, plus your waiting for your appeal to come through this all must be making your body feel worse. I think your doing amazing and now you have experience from the 1st interview you will be ready for anymore interviews you have arranged. Stay strong we are all behind you sending good vibes.
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Elizabeth

    I know, I am no different when i got for appointments, its clear to see I am in discomfort and need to move around, clear my tubes etc if there is air conditioning or really dry heating in the environment I am in...ATOS see nothing and don't care one iota for anyone, that's my view..
    Me intelligent? Its more I am not keyed up with these modern interview techniques thats my downfall and every time I think someone can help me from the jobcentre they let me down or send me on a janet and john type course (did adult literacy last year was insult to your intelligence)!
    There is no uncertainty about my appeal, I will get turned down like most others are, its just when they discard me on the JSA scarp-pile...

    Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:
    I'm glad the lady was concerned about your health, just wish ATOS were too.

    It can't have been easy going for the interview knowing how unwell you feel and with the uncertainty regarding the forthcoming appeal. It is hard to know how honest to be about your health too.
    You are intelligent and well spoken so you should you do well at an interview. Its just a case of finding the right opportunity but I know that is easier said than done in the current economic climate.

    It is a mad system and a lot of pressure on people who are clearly unwell. But well done for giving it a go.

    Elizabeth xx
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wynnie

    At least the poll tax got axed pretty quickly though didn't it as people could see through it, what a sham it was. But with this ESA, PIP it just makes no rhyme or reason to anyone with a bit of self decency, its just so infuriating! I at least know im not alone but still I do from time to time feel as if it is a very lonely battle and im just moaning unjustly when others have plenty more to complain about..
    I don't know how this will end up, god knows how I would be if lived alone, probably very down and desolate...

    Elainexx
    wynnie wrote:
    its the worst thing any government has done ever forby the poll tax ,its horrendous and every interview that i see them giving they say they are doing us a favour by allowing us the privilage of being able to work ,do they really think that we are ever doing all this pain and crap on purpose so we can have no work life !!!!,id gladly work 60 hours a week if id a healthy pain free body ,,id love a social life with my friends all dressed up and out on the town, but sadly thats all days gone past unless you can go out on the town with joggy bottoms and trainers the only attire i can comfortably wear ,
    i hate this atos thing with a passion and im still waiting on any reply from my forms being sent in and the medical at my doctors ,they also got a letter from my rheumatologist and its now over a month ago ,still nothing im expecting to be in the same boat as you and i will fight it all the way as well ,we are all with you on this one and hope somethings sorted positive for you soon x
Sign In or Register to comment.