High Blood Pressure

justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
edited 30. Mar 2013, 13:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Went for a routine check at the hospital and as advised to make an appointment with my GP as my blood pressure was high. I had it checked with the nurse a few times and it was high 158/101.

I have to wait for a 24 hour blood pressure monitor but wont get this untill 13th May so they said for now they will check it every week.

Why did they dot give me something for it now rather than wait until mid May to get the 24 hour test done, Apparently they fit you with a mini blood pressure checker that monitors your blood pressure over 24 hours.

I have bought one of those home checkers and its still around the same. They don't think its the meds doing it but I feel concerned as to why they couldn't give me something now.

Is 158/101 something to be concerned about as I haven't had any symptoms of having high blood pressure, its scary and hope it doesn't go up any more.

They asked if I had debt problems or stressed with anything I said no everything seems to be fine at the moment.

Looks like I will have to wait until mid may to get the 24 hour test done.

Anyone else here have high blood pressure or have had it in the past? Hope you are all doing ok.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have high BP thanks to the humira I take, I had one of those things fitted and what a blasted nuisance it was. They won't readily dole out the meds until they have checked what is what - BP is something that varies from minute to minute but if yours is consistently high then yes, they will try some meds to help reduce it, possibly before fitting you with the monitor. (Home-monitors are OK but possibly not as accurate as hospital ones.) In the meantime there are steps you can take to help reduce it naturally - reducing your salt intake is one of the easiest (salt is hidden everywhere and sometimes in the most surprising things!)

BP meds can cause side effects so it may take some time to find what works for you with the least nastiness. I wish you well and I hope it lessens soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Thanks for the reply, I bet those 24 hour monitors are a pain as they will more than likely disturb your sleep. I am reviewing everything in the cupboard\ fridge etc. and cannot get over how much salt is in stuff and saturated fats. I am going to have to ditch 3 regular meals and change them for something else.

I don't smoke but I am cutting down the alcohol at the weekend also.

To be honest this is a wake up call for me and I am certainly going to try my best to bring it down, although on searching around its not dangerously high but being high is enough for me.

They say do more exercise but with arthritis its very difficult as I'm sure you can imagine, its not like I can run, jog or do anything too exhaustive which is also a barrier when trying to lose a bit of weight.

Thanks everyone.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I cook most of our meals from fresh ingredients - the only ready meals we eat are Higgidy Pies and fish fingers, everything else we do ourselves. I never add salt to cooking water or to meals, I've noticed that many of firends reach for the salt when a meal is placed in front of them - why? :? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Justin,

I am sorry to hear that your BP readings are high. I am on meds for high BP now and stalled it for as long as possible before going onto meds. I had the monitor for 48 hours too. I did not find it too bad but I had to wear a baggy t-shirt when wearing it.

I started off with being prescribed a water tablet only but have since had 2.5 mg lisoprinol added to that daily. My BP seems to be creeping up again so the gp is murmuring again about it. I am sure these long term meds for arthritis, whether OA/RA that we are on do not help matters.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Whatishigh?gclid=CMvNopDBorYCFXHLtAoddkEAOA

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Right, the first thing I must ask, because it is killing me. DD, what are higgity pies.

I have had high blood pressure ever since my I had my two girls and the eldest is now 16 and youngest 14. I am the same as Elna, first I was on the water tabs and Lisinopril, now I am just on Lisinopril 10mg daily. Yes, it still goes up, I am a very stress person.

But try not to worry to much, you could make yourself feel worse. Just wait for the 24hr bp checking. I know what you mean about exercise though, with arther it is so so difficult.

I do hope you start feeling a bit less stressed over this,sending you some hugs of comfort.
    Karen xx
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    constable wrote:
    Right, the first thing I must ask, because it is killing me. DD, what are higgity pies.

I have had high blood pressure ever since my I had my two girls and the eldest is now 16 and youngest 14. I am the same as Elna, first I was on the water tabs and Lisinopril, now I am just on Lisinopril 10mg daily. Yes, it still goes up, I am a very stress person.

But try not to worry to much, you could make yourself feel worse. Just wait for the 24hr bp checking. I know what you mean about exercise though, with arther it is so so difficult.

I do hope you start feeling a bit less stressed over this,sending you some hugs of comfort.
    i want to know what higgity pies are as well please curiosoty getting the better of me x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I have had high blood pressure lately. All they say is come back later to be checked again and I've not been given anything for it. There could be so many reasons for the increase in BP its hard to know what to do to help lower it (I've never been told humira could be a link and I take humira). I don't smoke or drink (maybe the occasional Baileys on special occasions). Stress can be another factor.

Exercise is meant to help but agree it is difficult with Arthur and the weather hasn't been encouraging for a gentle walk.

Hope the BP improves.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Sorry you've been diagnosed with high BP but consider it lucky.
    At least if its known it can be treated......lots of people with high BP dont know about it until something more serious happens.
    I was sent from a hospital appt to my practice nurse because mine was high.
    We thought it was just "white coat syndrome" and would drop but it didnt and i had to go back every week for quite a while....they then prescibed a med and I go as normal....twice a year for it to be checked.
    Love
    Hileena
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    I have had high blood pressure for around 5 years, don't feel poorly at all, take one tablet per day which keeps it under control. I wouldn't worry too much about waiting for the 24hr check. I am sure everything will be ok.
    Barry.