Why hasn't the Jobseekers Count gone up?

PollySid
PollySid Member Posts: 343
edited 1. Apr 2013, 04:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was reading an interesting piece earlier about the statistics and figures re the ESA appeals and the amount of people that they (the Government)say had been removed from the benefits system.
It said that disabled claimants are being used to manipulate figures by recycling those same claimants. If large numbers were really being ‘found fit for work’ the Jobseeker’s Allowance claimant count would have gone up alarmingly which is not being claimed as the case. Maybe they have all found work :wink::lol: (joke)
After coming off ESA claimants are being sent back on to it by Jobcentres who can see they are not ready or able to join the workforce (this actually happened to me - I was told to appeal by a member of the jobcentre).
So this is a continual merry-go-round for the sick and disabled to ride on. A very expensive ride too, what with all of the appeals and tribunals that are having to be paid for.

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have read many people can only get part time or reduced hours work and they do not count as unemployed even though they cannot afford daily living costs.
    As you yourself discovered many who are found fit for work appeal and do not therefore count as claiming JSA as they are still trying for ESA.

I believe they will soon be making people who appeal ESA go on to JSA while they appeal. I'm sure I've read that somewhere. Surely that will put the figures for unemployed up?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    I am going to be one of those figures soon, not quite fit for work after TKR but not unwell enough for anyone with any decency and sense of observation to recognise I am not a fully fit jobseeker...But what choice do I have, have put in an appeal for ESA but when they made ludicrous suggestions for me as I could get a wheelchair to assist me as my knee was stiff? Then what hope do I have of gaining any points - got awarded 0 points THANK YOU!...
    Its wrong but as its saving the govermnment shed loads of money and people don't feel well enough to fight this stupid system it won't go away...

Elainexx

PollySid wrote:
    I was reading an interesting piece earlier about the statistics and figures re the ESA appeals and the amount of people that they (the Government)say had been removed from the benefits system.
    It said that disabled claimants are being used to manipulate figures by recycling those same claimants. If large numbers were really being ‘found fit for work’ the Jobseeker’s Allowance claimant count would have gone up alarmingly which is not being claimed as the case. Maybe they have all found work :wink::lol: (joke)
    After coming off ESA claimants are being sent back on to it by Jobcentres who can see they are not ready or able to join the workforce (this actually happened to me - I was told to appeal by a member of the jobcentre).
    So this is a continual merry-go-round for the sick and disabled to ride on. A very expensive ride too, what with all of the appeals and tribunals that are having to be paid for.
  • Stigger
    Stigger Member Posts: 72
    All the figures that the government posts are false. It recently said (at the Budget) that it had reduced the number of public sector workers.
    How?
    Well, it didn't mention that 169,000 lecturers in Further Education colleges were reclassified as private sector workers and removed from public sector.
    Our jobs haven't changed, we are still paid by the same local authorities and government departments - no knowledge or pre warning was given to us and we only found out when we read about it in FE News (they found out and published the lie)
    Can't believe a word they say, print, tweet or communicate in any form.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Polly this is a good point ..the figures are always being manipulated...I hate the thought that they think we are all stupid enough to believe them :x
    Love
    Barbara
  • sbolam
    sbolam Member Posts: 374
    The Trouble is though barb, most of the population actually do believe everything they are told or read..
    04_pain.jpg