I'm recently diagnosed, new to this and scared.

erinmarie
erinmarie Member Posts: 2
edited 10. Apr 2013, 17:12 in Young people's community
Hi all,
I've very recently been diagnosed with RA, I've suspected that I've had arthritis in my hips, knees and ankles for a while, but having it confirmed has made it all seem so much scarier.
I don't know how to cope and now little aches and pains that I used to think were normal, I'm suddenly reading a lot more into. Every time I hear my bones click or my fingers or neck crack, I panic.
I'm 21 and doing my last year of uni and I'm scared, I don't know what to do. Is my being tired all the time part of it? My friends don't understand that I can't do certain machines at the gym or wear heels for hours. How am I meant to explain that it's only going to get worse? Just getting out of bed is hard at the moment.

Comments

• Nixxy
    Nixxy Member Posts: 23
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there,

Welcome and well done for finding the forum, I hope it will be a help for you.

I read your post and it was if I had written it back when I was 21 (I'm 33 now) so I can really relate to what you have said. I developed crippling symptoms in my last year of uni and found it really tough but I got through it and so will you, even though it is really scary! A diagnosis is a positive thing as you can get on with getting the treatment you need, even if it makes it feel more scary it is a good thing.

For me tiredness has certainly been a big part of it. The anxiety, the pain, the adjustments to movement, the difficulty sleeping all contribute to feeling exhausted! Do be mindful of things like anaemia too, can sneak up on you and also make you super tired.

Adjusting to doing things differently can be tough too and really upsetting. I cried regularly for months when I gave all my high heels away, not because I'm shallow but because it felt like something you take for granted that has become a part of you has been stripped away and it sucks, especially when friends don't get it.

I found an amazing account by someone who was also suffering and who summed up how it felt for me, I then posted it on my facebook and tagged all my friends. I was so scared about what they would say but it was liberating that they finally felt ok to talk to me about it. I could find it for you if you're interested.

Anyway, I don't want to waffle on about me, just wanted to let you know there are other people out there who have been through it and are stronger, happier and more positive then they ever thought they could be.

Your journey will be tough, no doubt about it but there are great treatments and great support, just gotta learn how to make sure you get it. Please get in touch if there is anything I can help with or if you just want to express how you are feeling to someone who understands.

Do message me directly if you want to. Happy to share my experiences too but only if you want to hear them!

Stay strong and stay positive!

Nix
    There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow.
    Orison Swett Marden