those on dla or who applied and were accepted or turned down

Options
lizzieuk1
lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
edited 20. Apr 2013, 14:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was wondering what your symptoms were/what u could and couldnt do when u applied?? Just be useful to help gauge the level of disability u have to be awarded or turned down.

Think this could be useful for lots who r thinking of applying.x

Comments

• harleyquin
    harleyquin Member Posts: 66
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I thought I would respond to this as I have recently posted a question re benefits.

I have suffered from an inner ear disorder for years now, due to recurring Labyrinthitis, and had to give up work due to the vertigo and nausea.
    I applied for DLA but was turned down, so left it at that.
    In May 2011 my right knee became very painful and an X-ray confirmed that I was suffering from OA.
    It was already difficult to get around with my inner ear problem and this new diagnosis made things even harder.

Anyway, I decided to apply for DLA again and was turned down, I asked for it to be reconsidered but it was again rejected so I thought s*d it I will see this through and take it to tribunal as I was now classed as disabled.
    I had already been assessed and accepted for a Blue Badge but the DWP said this had no bearing on my case!
    Obviously it took months for my case to be heard, by which time both hips, shoulders and hands were affected to.

To cut a long story short, my daughter accompanied me to the Tribunal, the judge, doctor and benefit worker were all very nice, but they did point out that they could only assess me on my original claim ie the inner ear disorder and my right knee, but they could see I was struggling with the spread of OA.
    I struggled to walk very far, couldn't use public transport because of the stopping and starting and people moving around, ( this affected my vertigo not my OA)couldn't go shopping as I couldn't stand for very long and was in constant pain with my joints.
    I also suffered incontinence when the pain prevented me from getting to the toilet on time.
    I struggle to dress myself because of my shoulder stiffness and pain, and couldn't get in and out of the bath to use the shower ( now sorted with conversion to wet room )
    I had also been assessed by an Occupational Therapist for changes around the home, I think this is important too.

They didn't make me wait for their judgement, other than 5 mins sitting just outside, and overturned the DWP ruling.
    I was only expecting low rate mobility but they awarded me Medium Rate care too, and now my daughter is my Carer. ( she is a single mum and my grandson was coming up to the age where she would be expected to look for work...the local jobcentre ADVISED her to become my Carer as jobs in school hours are like gold dust)

I hope my experience will be of some help to someone else.
    Sorry it is so long.

Harley
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    I've had DLA all my life due to being profoundly deaf and having severe balance problems.

Since 2010, I have my feet problems but have not contacted the DLA or anything.

With the DLA now being PIP, even with my feet problems, I'm expecting to not be allowed it. PIP will be a lot harder to claim but I'm not sure how or what way it will be harder.

Harley, I can relate to your problems quite well actually. Now I have feet that really don't move and I've lost the subtalar which is the joint which helps keep your balance, my balance is SO much more worse now with the two together.
  • harleyquin
    Options
    Sailrib, sorry to hear of your condition.
    I found that as soon as the ATOS assessor asked me to stand up and bend to touch my knees, and I started "retching", i was awarded the 15 points....because I cannot bend down, reach up or move my head suddenly without feeling violently sick.
    Now with the OA as well life can be very difficult, but you have to adjust or end it all, there is no middle ground.
    I wish the government would see this.

Regards
    Harley
  • lizzieuk1
    Options
    Great replies so far, is really useful, I have looked at the forms and am as ever confused with questions like can u walk 50 metres well yes but is all in pain I mean do people on dla have no mobility ie just cannot walk at all or is it that if u are in pain u say no I can't walk rt he 50 metres ?????
  • sailrib
    Options
    It's no longer DLA, its PIP, I believe it came in on the 1st April, the PIP for new claims. PIP have different rules to DLA.
  • harleyquin
    Options
    lizzie, yes people on DLA can walk, just not very well or for very long, if they are claiming the Mobility part of it.
    You can actually work and claim DLA too, if you are able.
    So many stories in the papers about people without limbs being classed as fit for work by ATOS, those of us with problems getting about are going to find it hard to get our problems taken seriously.
    It's a real worry, and the tribunals queue will be long i expect, which if they stop your benefit whilst appealing, is going to cause hardship for a lot of people.
    It's easy to say that if you are a genuine claiment you have nothing to worry about, but they are moving the goalposts with PIP.
    If you can sit in a chair and look at a computer screen/type with 1 finger you can get a job !!!!!!!!!!
    Very worrying times ahead.

Harley
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    They use the terminology 'Unable or Virtually Unable to walk'. Well they did on mine.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    Options
    remember the new rules have changed to 20 metres and not 50 like it was before april 1st ,its shocking i can see many of us loosing mobility cars ect ,not that i have one but that was my first thought when i heard this ,its a total scandal just like the atos ,its all a nightmare all over again for those of us who have scrapped through the atos assesment now we are hit with the degrading assesments for something else .....
  • lizzieuk1
    Options
    I have no chance claiming anything as I'm not 'disabled' enough am just expected to carry on in pain, it stinks, and I know many on here are in the same situation am beginning to realise why the hunger games was written is very appropriate albeit a little exaggerated ;)
  • harleyquin
    Options
    I read today that even if you cant walk and need a wheelchair, providing you can move it yourself you are classed as fit to work!!!
    This is ridiculous :x

Harley
  • lizzieuk1
    Options
    sailrib wrote:
    It's no longer DLA, its PIP, I believe it came in on the 1st April, the PIP for new claims. PIP have different rules to DLA.

Pip is still not available in our area until June so will have to apply for DLA still, I think its that way until June except for the north of england.xx
  • rockchick
    rockchick Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Lizzie, in case it hasn't already been mentioned, the only advice I can offer is to get as much help as possible from somewhere like Citizen's Advice. However good you are at filling in forms, if you aren't familiar with the DLA forms, you might struggle. A lot of it is down to the terminology used. A benefits advisor at CAB or similar will be more familiar with the questions, and the best way to answer them. It's not about being dishonest, or economical with the truth. On the contrary. It's often just how the answers are worded.

Don't give in before you've started. But do get as much help as possible. Ask your doctors/consultants if they will support your claim. Letters; reports; xray results; details of medications & orthotics etc; household aids & gadgets you have, to help you manage - provide details of anything which will help to back up your claim. Keep copies of everything too. If you've ever kept a diary of appointments, or days when perhaps you've had falls or mishaps because of your illness - however insignificant it might seem, added up it could make a difference.

Make an appointment ASAP with CAB. Gather all the info you need. Don't rush it - be organised. The right preparation and advice could pay dividends - literally :wink:

Best of luck with everything.
  • lizzieuk1
    Options
    Thanks rock chick, we have cab at our surgery so I will book in with them for some advice, I still struggle to shake of the guilty feeling of applying when I know do many care so much worse off, silly I know but thats my nature hopefully the cab will help stop me filling in the form without due recognition how bad my condition is. Xxx
  • newbygran
    newbygran Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Hi I have been on D L A for balance problems since I had shingles in the head which left me with Ramsay Hunt Syndrome 20 years ago, I now have O A, I had a silicon replacement bunion joint two years ago after a bad fall showed arthritis in it, after my latest visit to the doc's, she checked my hip's and back and is now sending me for a M R I scan, I have the lower rate for mobility and middle rate for care,for my balance , I only go out now with my Partner, I am thinking maybe I am entitled to a higher rate, the letter they send, say's to let them know of any changes, bit worried I lose the lot. what do you think ? should I wait to see what the scan shows, and maybe add a bit more clout to my claim, bit worried about scan,
  • sailrib
    Options
    harleyquin wrote:
    I read today that even if you cant walk and need a wheelchair, providing you can move it yourself you are classed as fit to work!!!
    This is ridiculous :x

Harley

That's what I have been told as well, even if you can move the chair by your eyes as well which is silly :/