Should I ask for another blood test?

Options
harleyquin
harleyquin Member Posts: 66
edited 2. May 2013, 04:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I am going through a particularly nasty flare up at the moment, my whole body seems to be hurting, as is the case with these flare ups.
I was diagnosed with OA following right knee and pelvic x rays, but now my hands, shoulders, neck and lower spine (this may be referred pain from hips though ?) are affected.

My initial blood tests to check for RA markers were negative, but I have been reading that flare ups like this, and the fact that both sides of my body are affected, are more common with RA than OA so I am concerned that it IS actually RA, as you can suffer from both (hence the xray results)

My GP was happy to go with the OA diagnosis, following the xrays, so I was never referred further, just given co-codamol 30/500 for the pain.

I have a GP appointment next week and am considering asking for another
blood test as the first one was tested at the start of my symptoms which doesn't always show up the markers in the early stages.

Am I reading too much into this? (am I just reading too much lol)

What would you advise?

Edit to add: I really don't want to have RA, I'd rather not have OA, but would like to know for sure as it isnt going away.

Harley

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi Harley , dont think there is any point check for Rheumatiod Factor again but there is other things blood test can tell them CRP & ESR are both imflammation markers , some of the places you said you got pain are not normaly places RA attacts , at some point you could ask for a referal to Rheumatoligist

talk to your GP & hope you feel better soon
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    If it was me I'd be asking for a referral to rheumatology there are several sero negative conditions that can cause ur symptoms other than RA so u really need more investigation.
  • MrOptimist
    MrOptimist Member Posts: 175
    Options
    I would discuss your concerns with your GP and see what is suggested. If you aren't happy with the response, ask to see one of the other GP's in your Practice :)
  • harleyquin
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.
    I will speak to my GP about it when I see her next week and see what she thinks.
    I have a good relationship with my doctor and trust her judgement, it's just that I haven't made a fuss since the original diagnosis of OA but am really struggling with this flare up.

Harley
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    i would not bother with another blood test as only about 80% of those with RA have positive tests. my advice would be to hasten up a GP visit and ask for a referral to a rheumatologist asap. Early diagnosis is essential. I too had a negative blood test and just went on feeling worse and worse with shoulder pains,thigh pains,hand and foot pains. The GP's pain killers did nothing at all.After further tests - hand x-ray,chest x-ray and liver scan and still no diagnosis by which time I was in bed and unable to move satisfactorily.My wife rang the surgery (I could not even lift the phone) and I saw the senior partner who in a minute or two said that I needed seeing quickly and got me to the rheumatologist within 3 days when all became clear. My RA had a polymyalgic onset which can occur sometimes.By the time I saw the rheumatologist my inflammation level was 100 times above normal.(It looked incredible on his graph). The PMR aspect was brought under control quickly and then methotrexate was introduced for the RA.
    I tell you this so that you will see the neecessity of early diagnosis.
    Best wishes.
  • harleyquin
    Options
    Thanks Pot80 I will certainly take your advice.
    Sounds like you've had a really bad time of it.

Regards
    Harley
  • harleyquin
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to post an update.
    As this recent flare up is now in its 4th week, my GP said it would be a good idea to do more blood tests to check for inflammation.
    In fact when I turned up for the blood test, the nurse said she had requested full bloods, so she is at least being thorough and trying to get to the bottom of why I have been so rough lately.
    I won't get the results until next Friday.

Harley
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Harley
    I've answered your other post
    As I have said my inflammatory markers are normal and my rheumatoid factor was normal too
    My Rheumy kept asking if any members of my family has an inflammatory condition I always said no until my daughter was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis an inflammatory bowel disease last July so there was my link also her inflammatory markers are all normal even in a major flare up two weeks ago and was in hospital or ten days her bloods always remained normal
    It might be worth to see if any members of your family have had colitis or Crohn's disease
    My rheumy goes on how I'm feeling and not on what my bloods say
    Best wishes
    Maria