Humira - Headaches & Flu Symptoms?

Options
jabster
jabster Member Posts: 39
edited 10. May 2013, 08:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone :)

Been a long time since I have been on here! Had to re register! Anyhows I have only been on Arcoxia for the last 4 years for Sero Negative RA, finally had Anti TNF approved and started Humira last Tuesday.

Since Wednesday evening I have felt quite ill, bad headache that won't shift, slight nausea, flu like symptoms and sore throat. I did speak to the nurse this AM and said I'd try another dose next week to see.
Part of me wants to but part of me is nervous as I feel worse this last week than coping with the 'normal' Arthur pain. (No MTX)

I have struggled this past week in work with the headaches and I definitely couldn't cope with this long term.

Anyone else had SE like this at first but they have eased/disappeared?

Thanks a lot :)

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jabster, nice to meet you. :D
    I used Humira a few years ago, I do remember having headaches, but I don't think they were unbearable, (It has been a long time, but I think I'd remember that) and they stopped after two or three doses.
    Humira didn't work at all for me, neither did Enbrel, I hope you have more luck.
    Sorry I haven't been much use, I hope someone more helpful comes along soon.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • jabster
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :)

I am due my next dose on Tuesday and pretty anxious tbh. Head still sore, although slightly ease, still feel 'fluey' and throat sore. Hoping it might just be a bug rather than a reaction but the timing is too much of a coincidence really.

Fingers crossed for next week!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Seeing as how humira reduces one's immune system my suspicion would be that you were harbouring the bug and it was able to spring out and shout 'Boo!' :wink: I'm recovering from a nasty upper respiratory tract infection, I've been off the humira (and injected meth) for nearly three weeks but certainly felt achey, fluey and headachey. I've been fortunate in that I don't have any major side effects with it (apart from raised BP and so have more tablets) but in your shoes I would miss next Tuesday's dose and go for the week after by which time hopefully you will be feeling better. Chat this through again with your rheumatology nurse as well, it's better to be guided by her. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jabster
    Options
    Well I took my second injection today, so the next few days will tell. Head still been achey but there is a 'bug' going around, so im hoping it has just been that and not any SE.

So see how it goes!
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    When I started Humira in December I had headaches just short of migraines which I do get anyhow. I too contacted the Rheumy nurse but was told to keep going. Over the past months they did settle down a bit but are back again now.
    Headaches are a well known side effect so you're not on your own. Hopefully yours will ease off if that is the reason for them and not a bug. It's a dissappointment after waiting so long to get anti tnf but it's really early days yet. Do take something to help the headaches 'tho. Even if it is a side effect paracetamol might help.
    Good luck.
  • jabster
    Options
    Well took 2nd dose on Tuesday and within a few hours my headache got worse, throat worse, glands feel swollen, the pressure in my head/back of neck is awful, nose constantly runs, eyesight a bit hazy, I just feel 'fluey' /rough and soooo tired.

I have changed nothing else but humira :( I really want it to work but I couldn't go on like this, these last 3 weeks have been the worse ever. I can't concentrate in work, too fatigued to do anything outside of work (more fatigued than normal).

Going to see how I am next week and phone tge Rheumy nurse and decide what to do. We go on a long awaited holiday in 5 weeks and no way I could fly with this feeling in my head :(

I've done a fair bit of searching this past week and others are reporting similar SE, but I can't see if they stopped or continued on with humira. Also if the symptoms eased or not over time.

Rock and <me> a hard place :(
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    hello jabster
    Sorry I dont have any advice, but I just want to add my support and wish you well with the meds...its early days so hopefully things will settle down x
    Love
    Barbara
  • jabster
    Options
    Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been back on before now. Been so busy!

Anyhows ulcers, ended up with 12! 2 coldsores as well, thankfully they are gone now. I took my 3rd injection on Tuesday past, finally plucked up the courage to press the button :lol: (I am such a wuss) Have had the increased headache since and nausea. But I must say it is not as severe as after the first 2.

So will see how it goes over the next month until my review.

Anyone taken a dose a few days early before? I am off on hols and due my 5th injection the day before, was going to speak to nurse about the possibility of taking a few day before so any side effects ease before our flight.

Thanks again x