Old photo

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 18. Apr 2013, 13:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have posted before that I have been researching my family history. I have a large old black and white photo of a formal dinner for gentlemen only in what looks like a guild hall. My Dad's relatives were butchers in London and I thought perhaps it was The Worshipful Co. of Butchers annual dinner. Some weeks ago I wrote to The Clerk but have had no response. I have since written to The British Museum, but no response from them either. My letter contained my email address and phone number so its not as if they had to buy a stamp and post a reply. Does anybody have any ideas on who I could approach next? I feel someone somewhere will have the answer I'm looking for.

I also sent a copy to the London Evening Standard and asked them to let me know if they were going to print it, but again no response.

It makes me annoyed when people don't reply.

Janet xx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Janet in my research I have come across some really lovely helpful people...then there are the ones that cant be bothered..wasn't there a guild of master butchers wonder if you could find them..good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about the Guild Barbara. I promptly phoned them but they were only established in 1986. The lady I spoke to did suggest the London Retail Meat Traders Association which was formed in 1907. Looked at their web site and the only way of contacting them was by filling in a box. Hopefully I will get a reply soon.

It's a lovely old photo and I'm sure I will find the answer I'm looking for eventually.

Janet xx
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I really hope you do Janet. I love all the old black and white photo's. I have yet to sort out my mum and dad's relatives ones. I want to get some of them framed and up on the wall.

Good luck and let us know what response you do get.
    Karen xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I have lots of old photos...the trouble is knowing who they are...I dont have anyone to ask now they have all gone...wish I had asked my mum or aunties before they died...
    I now make a point of writing on mine for my family...
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hello Janet,Are you a member of any of the research sites ? Most of them have forum sections where you can contact other members and request help,most people are only too willing to help. Mig
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Yes Mig, I have got membership to an ancestry research site and have traced much of my family history by using it. Including a secret that had laid dormant in the family for over sixty years and as a consequence have now found many relatives I didn't know I had. It has been a very interesting couple of months.

As far as this old photo is concerned though, the site itself isn't of much help, but I am convinced it is something to do with an annual dinner of London butchers. Having looked more closely, there seems to be numerous associations for butchers and I think I will just have to contact them one by one until someone says "Yes".

Janet x
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    I would be tempted to have a trip to London to the oldest and poshest butchers I could find, maybe start with Harrods butchers dept. I bet they would find answers for you Janet.