Skipping meds

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 17. Apr 2013, 06:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just got back from my Rheumatology appointment after waiting for an hour and half to be seen.I am still suffering with these horrid mouth ulcers with Methotrexate still and have been advised to reduce my dosage down to 15mg rather than the 20,I have also have been advised to miss this weeks dosage which i find rather strange to do I know I need it cleared up but to miss a dosage just don't seem a sensible thing to do as it could mess the routine up.I have had the folic acid also increased to 7 days a week rather than the 5 and so far my Hydroxy has settled in with no side effects.do you think I should be missing a dose of Methotrexate has this doctor advised me wrongly here.

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I suffer with mouth ulcers, if I try to increase my meth over 20 mg.
    I was never told miss a dose, just decrease. Having said that, I'm pretty sure, missing a dose won't do any harm, and if that's what your Rheumy advised, all well and good. Maybe he's trying to establish that it is the Meth causing the mouth ulcers.
    I had my first dose of injected Meth yesterday, no side effects so far :D
    I hope you get sorted soon, I know how miserable mouth ulcers are!
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    dont mess with methotrexate without talking to your rheumy nurse

would also talk them about your mouth ulcers & levels of folic acid you take , high dose folic acid can sort most these side effects , after being put on 5mg six days a week I dont get any side effects for 25mg Methotrexate
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    MTX stays in the body for a number of weeks (can't remember how many off hand - it's been a long day!) so missing the odd week won't do much over all. What it will do is give your body a chance to heal without introducing a fresh source of the medication causing you problems.

I often miss a week if I'm poorly or if I have a weekend when I need to be completely on the ball. It hasn't done any harm yet! If I miss several in a row I notice that the nausea is bad again when I restart, but that's all.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi shandy
    sorry I cant offer any help, but I find it awful how they tell us to do things without a proper explanation...it would help ...suppose its all down to time..I do hope your mouth improves very soon...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • shandy4greenday
    shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Thankyou all I was just a bit concerned about missing my dose but by what I read one dose should be fine if it will help clear up and once I get the right dosage hopefully all will settle eventually.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I would discuss what your G.P said with your Rhummey Nurse as to miss a day may be ok but to miss a week could make you poorly. The Rhummy Nurse will advise best. Hope your mouth clears up soon.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    As usual Scattered has hit the nail on the head. Your rheumatologist told you what to do and probably assumed that you would grasp the reason behind missing a dose - I think they forget that we are not 'in their gang' so to speak and sometimes need explanations. If in doubt always ask, that's my motto. Missing a week won't impact on anything and I hope the ulcers clear up soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben