More problems sleeping and why do i get pain where i get it

Options
LesEdmunds
LesEdmunds Member Posts: 3
edited 17. Apr 2013, 05:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all. I have very recently been told by my GP that i have Osteoarthiritis in the back of the neck. This he said was shown up on an xray. He says that the pains i get in my finger and shoulder are also Osteoarthiritis although that was never xrayed. The pain is quite intense at times enough to stop me sleeping. My big worry is, if he's wrong could it be bone cancer(my brother died of bone cancer), because it's not always the joints that hurt but midway between shoulder and elbow and the back and sides of my head hurt so much sometimes it wakes me up at night and i have to turn on the other side. There are no joints in the back or sides of the head so why should it hurt.
I take Co-Codamol 30/500g tablets but it only just takes the edge off the pain so i still wake up during the night.
Thanks for reading...........Les

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Les, welcome to the forum.
    I don't have OA I have RA, but I do get muscle and nerve pain as well as joint pain. I think it can hurt anywhere it chooses :roll:
    I'm sorry about your brother, and of course his illness will make you worry. I often wonder, when I get a different pain, if it could be something other than Arthritis, I think we all do. If you're really concerned, ask for a second opinion, or more tests and xrays. At the very least it could put your mind at rest.
    We forum members, usually refer to "pain killers" as "pain dullers" because that's all they do for most of us. :wink:
    I hope someone who can be of more help to you, will be along soon, it's quite quiet on here at the moment.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Les and welcome
    I always say if you are worried ask your GP for more xrays, because the stress of worrying will make your pain worse.
    I know what you are going through I have lost most of my family to cancer...so it is always at the back of my mind...and I am glad when the xrays show more OA....so you go and see them..I know its not always easy keep going to see your GP....but bite the bullet and go...
    Just to put your mind at rest a little..my shoulder pain radiates down into my elbow...has for the neck pain I do get headaches with it.
    Let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Les

Did the doc not give you any anti inflams? I would go back to your GP and express your concerns to him it would put your mind at rest, I know how you feel have lost some of family as well to cancer, i hope you get this sorted out soon.............tc..............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • LesEdmunds
    LesEdmunds Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you very much for all your replies. I'll see one of the other doctors at the surgery and will voice my concerns when i next go there.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply it is appreciated.
    All take care...........Les
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi les, its v common for pain to refer into the arm/hand and head from oa in the neck due to the nerves from the neck feeding those areas - bit like sciatica being from low back nerve irritation.
    Try not to panic too much I see lots of cases like yours all benign as it were just referred pain.
    As others said ask for another xray they're cheap enough and will hopefully make all the difference to your worrying so well worth it.x