Help!! Moving to Cambridgeshire - Rheumatology advice

Options
tara04
tara04 Member Posts: 3
edited 21. Apr 2013, 02:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I am in the process of moving from London to Cambridgeshire and really need some advice from any arthritis sufferers in Cambridgeshire, or anyone who have gone through a move with arthritis.

I am currently receiving wonderful care for my arthritis at Charing Cross Hospital and am on etanercept injections. I understand that the funding for my injections should be ok with the move but I am really nervous about having to move GP & hospitals.

I had a really bad experience when I was first diagnosed and received care from Hillingdon Hospital and don't think I could cope if I receive similar care at the new hospital.

I would really appreciate honest reviews of the rheumatology departments available to me. Or indeed any advice at all would be wonderful as I am really starting to stress about the move.

Thanks
Tara

Comments

• scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ask your current rheumatologist to contact the rheumatology team where you are moving to and refer you. This saves the rigmarole of having to get your new GP to do it. I did it this way when I moved from Oxford to Yorkshire, and my rheumatologist wrote a personal referral. Turns out he knew my new rheumatologist!
  • harleyquin
    harleyquin Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi, you will be under Addenbrookes which is a great hospital :)
    I haven't used the Rheumatology department yet as my gp is satisfied that my problem is osteo, although I'm going to ask for further tests or a referral as i can barely move at the moment.

Good luck with your move

Harley
  • kate21
    kate21 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi Tara,
    I too have had a range of rheumy experiences so know who you feel.

I have only been in the Camb area just over a year, but have had a fantastic experience so far. Addenbrookes are fab. They write a report/letter to your GP every time you see them and they send you a copy too. :D If you need a procedure done - they will ring you up personally to arrange it. :D

I can personally recommend one of the consultants Dr S. He's really impressed me. As with many hospitals, you won't always see the consultant you're put under. And one Dr is not going to be the best for every patient, it all depends on your needs. But I am pretty confident in saying you'll be fine under the care of addenbrookes. :D
    Good luck.
    x Kate
  • peterwicks
    peterwicks Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Do not use Hinchingbrooke Hospital Cambs...it is now run by the Circle Health Care company for the last two years and has proved to be a total disaster for my wife who suffers from RA...Greed now rules this hospital..which is a shame because we have used it for the last 20 years when the NHS were in charge..I note you are going to use Addenbrookes and you could not have made a better choice...a great teaching hospital which over many years has given my wife excellent health care..for breast cancer(1974) and RA...