Bloods

Options
MUM1
MUM1 Member Posts: 79
edited 17. Apr 2013, 15:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had bloods taken serveral weeks ago (last time was 2 years before that) to rule out RA ,diabetes, thyroid, anaemia, liver & kidney function to name a few. The liver function came back a bit high so had a scan this week, nurse says nothing sisnister although liver was a bit fatty and she will get results back to gp. She asked about meds and diet and I asked her if meds could affect liver function and she said yes but gp would be giving blood tests anyway to check, thing is when I asked gp if meds would affect liver function I was told no unless I was overdosing, I tend to err on the side of caution and try to take lees than I am prescribed which is 2x 30/500mg co-codamol 4 times daily and 50mg diclofenac 3 times daily I try to get by on 5-6 co-codamol daily rather than 8 and 2 diclofenac but never go over my dose. I am not sure what happens now if anything and should gp be giving regular blood tests. I have been taking diclofenac for roughly 3 years now with no stomache protector one gp I asked said if I was having no symptoms I shouldn't need them and I started off on co-codamol 8/500mg three years ago but since December have been on 30/500mg. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello MUM1
    I have OA so cant advised on your meds, but I had the full bloods taken a couple of years ago..and mine came back with an high reading for my kidneys...since then I have them done every 6 months ...but I have had different views on what can cause it...the nurse say the antiinflams ...the GP say nothing... :roll: we cant win...I do hope the next blood test are OK x
    Love
    Barbara
  • MUM1
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Barbera. Do you think the gp will do regular blood tests for liver function now due to last result being a bit high and having the scan done and showing fatty liver?
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    Options
    hi there i got an ultra sound on my liver which came back as fatty liver and gp told me it wasnt medication it was diet ,and i have to say he could be right i dont live on rabbit food ect he said if i changed my diet the liver would return to normal :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Three years of diclo and no tummy protector? That GP needs to re-think that silly statement - the idea of the protector is that it prevents trouble. The liver can be affected by paracetamol which is why one has to be careful with these meds.

I have two-monthly blood tests because of the meds I take for my PsA - they are humira, meth and sulph and then one diclo and omeprazole to help with my OA and Achilles tendonitis. Please get some omep or lansaprazole because you are taking a higher (though safe) dose of the diclo. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • MUM1
    Options
    Hi DreamDaisy thank you for your reply. The problem is that you never see the same gp 2 times in a row, I wonder if when they have your notes up on computer screen do they ever actually check, however there are 2 gp's that seem to listen so I will talk to them about my concerns of taking meds long term as I have no doubt that I'll be taking them for some time to come.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi, if it's any help, I've had raised liver results with scan and ultrasound and they found nothing. I was taking low dose painkillers. They never really found out why in spite of me seeing a consultant. So I don't worry about now and usually ask for a check about once a year.