Infections on humira

Options
Loulou11
Loulou11 Member Posts: 86
edited 17. Apr 2013, 16:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been on humira 5 years and keep getting infections. The latest one has been serious with surgery to clean out the infection. I finished the antibiotics and left it a week before starting the humira again but now my rheumy says I might have to come off it for 6 mths to a year! This is my third anti TNF and probably my last any ideas to put to the rheumy would be gratefully received xxx

Sorry to grumble but if anyone could help me it's you guys xxxx

Lou

Comments

• Misssweden13
    Misssweden13 Member Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have had the same experience with Remicade and Humira. I have edema in my left arm and got numerous infections under the skin, erysipelas.
    When taking Enbrel that did not happen, but had to stop due to another side effect.

There are other biological drugs that works differently than TNF ; Orencia, Mabthera, Roactemra (swedish names maybe not the same in the UK)
    I have tried Orencia, worked, no infections, but not enough to keep my inflamation in check, but we are all different, It can work for you.

Good luck!
    Anna in Sweden
  • Loulou11
    Options
    Thank you Anna I've had arthur all my life and feel im running out of options, I will look into these other drugs and go armed with information back to my rheumy.

Thanks again

Lou
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi Loulou, I kept getting infections (though not as serious as yours by the sound of it) and I negotiated taking a half dose of my anti tnf. It doesn't work entirely but keeps the worst at bay with a top up of steroids. Not ideal but seemed a good compromise at the time.
  • Loulou11
    Options
    Thank you salamander I never thought of that! it could work, I will defo put that to the rheumy xxxxxx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Best of luck. x