Any advice about relief from costochondritis pain?

Options
Claire38
Claire38 Member Posts: 42
edited 24. Apr 2013, 03:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
For the last few days my chest/rib pain from my costochondritis (which I have all the time) has been really really bad. Think my whole body is going through a major flare at the moment, with increased pain in my back, hips, knees, elbow, wrist etc etc. Most of it I can kind of deal with, but the chest pain gets me every time. I had IM steroid last Thursday, which I think have taken the edge off slightly, but not much.

I thought on Tuesday I'd end up in A&E it was that bad. In the end I just went to bed, and tried to ride it out.

It's been a little better the last couple of days, but still very bad.

I'm going to my GP later, about this chest pain, and the increased swelling in my knee, but I'm not really sure what, if any thing they are going to be able to do.

I was wondering if any one else suffers with costochondritis, and has this much pain from it, and what helps with your pain, and helps you to deal with it when it's flaring up badly.

Comments

• suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have had this and it is horrible. I used my hot water bottle, and tried to rest when possible and keep still. Moving was agony, so tried to get comfy then rest the area, if that makes sense. Lifting anything set it off, so limited certain activities to give it time to heal I was advised.

Anti inflammatory meds and creams may help, in the end I had a steroid injection and it went thankfully.
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi

Ive had this on and off since last year, though i was having a heart attack,

I got painkillers and that was that, it took weeks to even feel human again and even now the pain can get bad,

Take care
    Lily
  • Claire38
    Claire38 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Saw the GP this afternoon. He prescribed me NSAID's but I really don't want to take them as trying to conceive. Having said that, being in this much pain isn't great for trying to do that anyway, in several ways!

I'm not sure how long Nabumatone stays in your system. I guess I could just write this month off, take the tablets for a couple of weeks and then start trying again. Trouble is I'm reluctant to do that as really just want to keep going.

It's just never easy!
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Looks like its half life is about 24 hours so I would think if u stopped 48 hrs before ur due to ovulate u should be OK.

Its not easy trying to juggle TTC with meds/pain/life having just had a miscarriage am not welcoming having to do it all over again- thought I was home and dry at 12 weeks- silly body missed the fact there was no baby past 5 weeks!, not to mention looking after a toddler!
    But well worth the effort once u get there :) a good support system with friends/family helps and, unlike me, try not to be too brave but tell them if u need help!

Good luck I'm sure it will happen soon then hopefully several months off meds feeling great.xx
  • Sharrym
    Sharrym Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I had a bad spell with this last year. My gp gave me a morphine injection which really helped. I used to find lying down worse. So have a sit me up from OT which helped and hot water bottles are good I have not had it too bad for a while but really feel for you. With the ttc part it is so tricky. Have you taken prednisolone i was on this while ttc my 2nd daughter also on naproxen and still conceived and all was fine.

Good luck

Sharon
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Sorry, no advice here Claire but a lot of sympathy as I suffer badly too. Did you mention to your GP that you are trying for a baby? I think there are some meds that are safe.
    suzygirl wrote:
    Anti inflammatory meds and creams may help, in the end I had a steroid injection and it went thankfully.

Was the steroid injection very painful? I'm in agony with costo and at the end of my tether.
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    usually its just pain killers and antiinflammatories, take both together. it is painful and does take several months to get better though.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Claire
    Sorry I cant offer any help, It sounds so painful ..but I do hope that you get something to ease the pain very soon ...it will help you a little talking to us lot.... take care ((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi Claire, I get it sometimes and it is horrible but doesn't last more than a couple of weeks in my case. I take strong painkillers as don't take NSAIDS. Hopefully the steroid will kick in fully soon and you will get some relief from the pain.