jobs what do u all do??

Options
lizzieuk1
lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
edited 2. May 2013, 09:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Those that know me r aware I'm an osteopath however since my ra is raging I am reassessing how I can work and obviously my job is far from ideal I love it though :(
Was wondering those that work what do u do and is it OK with ur arthritis/illness, am struggling to find any job title I feel I could do should I remain in this state or if/when I have future flare ups.

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm a housekeeper. I don't enjoy the job itself but I can start and finish when I want to and can go from doing one job to anther eg. ironing when I feel tired or cleaning the kitchen if I'm feeling ok. I couldn't do a desk job as I stiffen up quite quickly when sitting for any length of time. Doing housework gives me some exercise like stretching, walking, arm exercise while polishing, up and downstairs etc.
    Christine
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi

I work in a supermarket and right now im off work :(
    i love my job but as my flares usually begin in my hands im finding it difficult to keep going. I find it difficult to either stand or sit for too long so looks like ill be loosing my job.

sorry cant be much help

Take care
    Lily x
  • lizzieuk1
    Options
    Oh lord don't think I could do either can't clean my own house let alone someone else's!
    As u say hands are problematic, not sure I have ,many options just hope rheumy can get me sorted!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I'm retired thank goodness...did used to do volunteering but I am limited now..so gave it up... :( I did love it
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Afraid not fit to work, as well as OA I have a very rare neurological disease that affects a lot of my body(although ATOS says I'm fit to wotk :lol:)...........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • lizzieuk1
    Options
    villier wrote:
    Afraid not fit to work, as well as OA I have a very rare neurological disease that affects a lot of my body(although ATOS says I'm fit to wotk :lol:)...........Marie xx
    Think so far as atos is concerned if ur not dead ur fit to work :roll:
  • Buka
    Buka Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi Lizzie,

I have had RA since 2000. I worked full time for my Local authority education department until redundancy in 2011. I was out and about - driving is okay for me - and working in schools as well as in an office. I think the fact I loved the job and the variety was what kept me going and although some days were hard I was allowed to work flexible hours i.e. later starts to cope with morning stiffness. I even had a laptop at home (through access to work) in case for any reason I couldn't get in to work or needed to finish earlier. Removing the stress and pressures of having to be somewhere on time each dasy really helped. Yes i had some time off with flares and a six week spell when I had pnem but on the whole i worked well. Dont give up something you love if you can avoid it!! After redundancy I applied for another job and was successful but it didn't work out at all. I had to sit at a desk for 9 hours a day and got so stiff each day became increasingly painful. I knew it wasn't doing my health any good so I resigned. I have since done temporary work for the same team I was made redundant from and watched my old job be readvertised 15 months later. Made me really angry at the time but its a waste of energy and I cant do anything about it now. I really believe working takes your mind off the illness and keeps you healthier but it has to be something you really enjoy and something worthwhile to keep you motivated and as well as you can be. I hope it works out for you.

Bukax
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    Options
    used to work but not now it takes me so long to do my own things now i couldnt contemplate doing anything for anyone else ,paid or otherwise ,i need my oven cleaned and my bottom cupboards but if i got down there id never get back up ,i dont know how half of you cope it stresses me to the max as ive always been independant annie but now it takes about a week to do something i dont in a day .....
  • kate21
    kate21 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    *touch wood* :wink: I haven't had a major flare since being in work - last one was while I was at uni and they were very good - allowed my dissertation to be worth extra credits so that I could stay home and spend longer over writing my dissertation and wouldn't miss out on the credits from the modules I was missing through not being able to attend. :)

I work as a primary school teacher, with the little ones 4-5 years old. It can be utterly exhausting but at least they keep me moving - as others have said, I would stiffen up too much behind a desk.

The worst bit is playground duty in the winter :( and we have an outdoor classroom too, which the children enjoy so much and get a lot out of. I just have to layer up LOTS!

The best thing is having the most supportive "colleagues" ever - 4 year olds tune in to how I'm feeling very easily and are always super keen to help, bless them. Have been at work on crutches, with splints and all sorts this year, and they won't let me do anything like carry a box of toys myself. I even got "arrested" and sent to "jail" (the book corner) for sitting on a little chair the other day :oops: . They really are the best therapy for me! :D
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Fostering... its at home at the children at normal at school.. rest once they are out of the house if i need to. Also a great job.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Hi Lizzie
    I don't work at the moment as I am finishing my degree but I am looking into becoming a counsellor.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Hi All

Ive got a paper shop which I've been desperatley trying to sell since I got this RA. So its up at 5 o'clock every morning and long days on my poor feet! Im with you Buka when you say working does take your mind off it if you are well enough to do so, but I would cut off my leg to get this shop sold!
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    I'm a sailing instructor and trying hard not to have to give it up as its been my life since leaving school and I love it!

The surgeon has pushed me straight into surgery rather then other options as he says that's my best option at sticking with sailing.

Him being a serious sailor himself, I trust him :)

I go mad when I don't work tho :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I taught until my first son was born and my RA got much worse. After he got to 9 months I did voluntary work of various kinds over the years. I agree, it takes your mind off your own aches and pains, particularly when you are dealing with people much worse off than yourself. It makes you feel you are pulling your weight in society plus, as it's voluntary, you can choose how much to do.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I retired when I was 62.....the last job I had was social researcher.
    I was also an Avon Sales Leader. I've been an Avon rep since I was pregnant with my first one.....35 years now :shock:
    Had to give up the Sales Leader position because my mobility got much worse but am still an Avon Representative.
    I'm an arthritis care volunteer, Also a volunteer at church.
    That's my lot at the minute.
    Love
    Hileena
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    I have a desk job, working with computers. I do get stiff if I'm engrossed in something and don't move much for a few hours, but I try to make sure I get up and walk around every hour, and go for a walk including up and down two flights of stairs at lunch time (I work on the 2nd floor). Of course all this walking around is only possible since I got two new knees, before that, once I made it to my desk I only got up if I needed the toilet, just standing up was so painful I didn't want to move. Sitting for long periods didn't hurt - just getting up afterwards did!

I have a back support on my chair that I can easily take off (sometimes it is more irritating than helpful), and an easily adjustable foot rest so I can stretch my feet out and rest them at different heights. I find I don't need a wrist support on my keyboard, but I have one on my mouse pad which helps a lot.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    up until 28/1/13 was a staff nurse for 27yrs but from 13/3/13 i retired on ill health grounds by Atos who for DWP say im fit to work!!! Makes no sense i know!
    Best wishes
    Maria
  • BonnGayle
    BonnGayle Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I Work in a Kindergarten ( in Germany ) which is Bi lingual so Im the English speaker , its a good balance of moving and sitting, I get stiff if i do too much of either, even so it is a struggle sometimes but its a job I love so that motivates me to carry on.
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I work as a health and safety consultant, mostly from home, sitting at the PC. I receive work by email, do the work then send it out.

I do the occasional fire risk assessment, did one last month in a woodwork factory, up and down stairs and a fair bit of walking. I do pace myself as I find I get really sore once the work is over and I rest a little. Then feel the stiffness when I begin to move about again.

I had a cracking job just over a year ago, H&S adviser for a construction company working in a road tunnel. It was very well paid and part time working evenings when the tunnel was closed to traffic.

I could go to work, stay for a couple of hours then drive home again all without leaving the driving seat.

That was a once in a lifetime job.

I'm 63 and a bit, just waiting for my OAP in less than two years time. :)
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    Options
    I worked as a Music Therapist until 2011 and then took early retirement (aged 55). I'm glad I did as life has become so much easier not having to juggle so many balls and of course managing 'the pain' is easier too :).
  • jacqmun
    jacqmun Member Posts: 65
    Options
    I am a midwife assistant working in the community mainly. My job is varied, I can be driving around all day doing visits, sitting at a desk other days. Can be quite tricky at homebirths, awful lot of equipment to lug about and those entinox cylinders are not light!!!!!
    My team are very understanding and know I have good days and bad days, makes all the difference. I love my job and plan to carry on working!!!
    When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I am an Education Manager at a Football Club. It can be trying moving around the Stadium but everyone is supportive.... Well mostly. It is quite an active job but not giving in at the moment! I am also a Senior Manager within the organisation which brings much stress. This has a significant impact on my arthritis and causes flares more regularly than I would like.
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    I'm retired. Was a Legal Secretary/P.A .Loved working in the legal profession and found it very difficult to adjust when I retired. I do voluntary work at our local Hospice Shop and have been there over 6 1/2 yrs now. I used to do one morning a week but when OA in my back started to get worse I did give it up. However, I missed going so much that I soon went back again but now do every other Monday morning. The work I do can be done sitting down. I really enjoy it and have made some lovely new friends. I would recommend it to anyone who is retired. Yes, it is an effort to get up and struggle to the bus stop, especially in the bad weather, or more often when my wretched back decides to be extremely awkward, but it gives me a reason to go out and I feel as though I am being useful.

Beryl