Appointment on Monday...!!!! Nervous...!!!

Options
gemmarh100
gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
edited 22. Apr 2013, 20:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I have my first Rheumy app on Monday.... bit nervous about what he will say..?? :? I know everybody's different but how long did it take for you all to get a diagnosis...??

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    gl with the appointment , took them two years to tell me what my GP said after positive RF blood test , hope they will be a bit quicker
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Best of luck :D

I was sent on referral due to ankle swelling, had xrays n blood tests then at my next appointment I was told I had Osteoarthritis & Psoriatic Arthritis. I was lucky it only took a few months. They had said at the initial appointment that they strongly suspected Psoriatic, so I was forewarned.

I really hope it's good news for you.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • premierscfc04
    premierscfc04 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    It took me 15 months to get a diagnosis of RA but that was mainly because I couldn't get a hospital appointment so much so I only got an appointment by going private, but that was 20 years ago now.

Within 5 minutes of the consultation starting I was told it was almost definately RA, which was confirmed on the NHS the following week from the blood test (which my GP had done numerous) and x-rays.

Good luck with your consultation and I hope you start feeling better soon!
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Good Luck for Monday. Will be thinking of you. Let us know how you get on. Beryl.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good luck on Monday dont forget your list of questions and a list of anything you can think of...ie hair loss, swelling, rashes, pain.....hope its a good appointment x
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    It is OA I have, I just want to wish you luck for Monday keep us informed how you go........................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I cant really help you as mine is OA. Just wanted to say that I hope that you don't have to wait long for a diagnosis. Then they can start on the pain control for you. It is understandable you being nervous, try not to worry to much. They are there for you. Let us know how you get on wont you.
    Karen xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Good luck for Monday, remember write a list of questions you want to ask on a piece of paper and take it with you so you don't forget. Try and relax and take it all in Let us know how you get on.
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Writing the questions down is always worth while or ul leave & kick ureself for forgetting something!! I also write their answers down (I have FM so get a very foggy brain) so I can review them once I'm home with a coffee & relaxed enough to take more info in!!

I always ask to be cc'd on all letters too, it helps to keep a track of things.

Good luck again.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Good luck for Monday.
    Thinking of you,
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow. I hope it goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    All the best for tomorrow - do let us know how you get on.

My top two tips are; Write the list the others mention so you forget nothing and also so you are clear and concise when asked what are your symptoms.

The second is to take someone with you, family or friend. It is less easy to be fobbed off with two of you and also they are an extra voice if needs be and an extra pair of ears to remember what was said.

love and luck

Toni xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Good luck for today. Mig
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Good luck, hope it's a positive experience and you get the help you need.

Deb x
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Hi,

How did your Rheumy appointment go??x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • gemmarh100
    gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanx for all the advice!!! I had a great first appointment, lucky to have a great Rheumy...asked loadsa questions and listened to me properly. :D He diagnosed me with Rheumatoid Arthritis and wants to start me on Methotraxate.... I feel good that someone listened and that I have a diagnosis but it is a lot to take in. I thought that anyway, but it's different hearing it from a consultant :? . I have some thinking time about the Methotraxate and he gave me a steroid injection to see if that makes a difference....

I feel there will me lots of appointment and lots of questions....but thanx to everyone for the support. Any opinions/advice on Methotraxate??? (I know we are all different but opinions help) :)

Gem XxXx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    That sounds like a very good appointment, Gem. Yes, there's a lot to take in but you'll get there.

As for meth - well, we are all different but for me it's worked very well indeed for about 12 years. These meds can sound quite scary at first but we are well-monitored while on them with regular blood tests.

I hope things start looking up for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    Options
    I'm glad you had such a positive appointment :)

I've been on Methotrexate since 2007 for PsA & Psoriasis. It's been helpful with both. I just don't like all the infections I'm getting, but as uve all said, we are all different & I certainly wouldn't say don't try it as it does work extremely well. The pros out do the cons in my opinion.

Good luck, take ure time & ask ure rheumy anything you aren't sure about.

Take care.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x