meds and deformity

Options
Kittkat
Kittkat Member Posts: 309
edited 20. Apr 2013, 13:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone found that their meds slowed down the rate of deformity ? Mainly in hands? This is what scares me the most hand deformities. I just don't know how I will cope being young with something so hideous?I am single as it is I don't really think I will be a catch with a deformity/disability.
How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi , those of us that had RA a lot time will suffer with joint damage , but the main reason is we did not have drugs like Methotrexate & the new biologics

when I first used to go to Rheumatology Department there was several with hand deformities & mostly because the tendons pull the fingers to the side but now you go & dont see it , the new drugs have made a huge differance to those suffering from RA , if you are worried talk to your consultant/nurse when you next see them
  • kate21
    kate21 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi,
    I had similar worries especially as I work a lot with my hands - sewing and knitting etc.

Not my own experience as such, but might be reassuring to you.

I have been diagnosed with RA since age 19 (now 26) and when I first saw a podiatrist she asked me about what meds I was on etc.

Anyway she said she had, had a patient with RA the same week, an older lady who had, had RA from a young age and had never seen a podiatrist. Well, the podiatrist was expecting this ladies feet to be in a real mess with lots of deformities - but her feet had hardly any problems at all. :D The lady put it down to being one of the lucky ones and having been on a good range of disease modifying meds for years. So perhaps there is hope for all of us! :D

I found this really reassuring at the time. Hope it helps and good luck. :wink: x Kate
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    My right hand and foot were the worst ,the deformity has slowed down but not stopped,the left hand and foot seems to have stopped,I am now on hydroxy and humira.I have what they call a resting splint to use and a buddy strap for my little finger on right hand (you strap two fingers together) Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes' - Benjamin Franklin,

However, the advent of DMARDS and anti-tnfs have made deformities far less likely for RA patients though those who have gone considerable time without a diagnosis, and those who try to soldier on without the meds, must be at greater risk.

I was diagnosed long before such meds were available and have very odd-looking hands, feet and elbows but was told recently by a physiotherapist that they hardly ever get to see people like me these days because of the disease modifying drugs.

Even so, although I got RA at 15, and didn't meet Mr SW until we were at uni together, he was not put off by what he saw. For my money, anyone who is is probably not worth bothering about and the RA might actually be a useful line of defence against such shallow people.

Take your meds, Kittkat, and enjoy life to the full. There's more to a happy, fulfilled life than a perfect-looking body.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright