Knee Aspiration advice

Options
kate21
kate21 Member Posts: 24
edited 20. Apr 2013, 21:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,
Glad to see this place is still as busy and friendly as always. :D

Please skip to knee aspiration part if you like

(I do apologise for having been away for so long. :oops: I was diagnosed sero-neg RA in 2006 at age 19 and used to come here often for support - so thank you to everyone who helped me so much back then.

Since then I had that diagnosis taken away from me and replaced with another one, which I hope explains my absence! A new Rheumy was appaled no-one had noticed how severley hypermobile I was and diagnosed me with Hypermobility Syndrome (Ehlers Danlos Hypermobility Type) - as the reason for all my problems. As I have been being treated for hypermobility only for a few years now - I felt like a bit of a fraud here at Arthritis Care! :oops:

However, current rheumy was recently rather surprised by the size of my knees, which apparently can't be explained by the hypermobility - despite frequent knee-cap subluxes and dislocations. So here I am again - welcoming back the diagnosis of Sero-neg RA! :lol: At least I know it's a friendly place to be)

So, to the knee aspiration. Had my knees drained :o and steroids injected yesterday - except that there wasn't anything to drain?! Last time I had it done, 5 or so years ago, it took them ages to get all the fluid out. But yesterday, a few drops and that was it, despite my knees being huge. I don't really understand how this can be - what is the swelling made up of if not fluid? Can anyone help me understand this? (The Dr explained something but I was still partly under the influence of the gas and air :lol: - so can't remember! :oops: )

Also, what would your advice be for recovery and prevention of the knees worsening. Would you wear tubi-grips/strap them up? Should I sit/sleep with my legs raised? All the doctors ever say is different things work for different people, which I know is true, but I have so few ideas of what any of these different things might me? What have/do/would you do?

Thank you for your help in advance and I do hope you are all doing well. :wink:

Comments

• DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Katie,

It sounds like you've really been going thru it for such a young person :(

My friends son has just been diagnosed, 2 weeks ago, with Ehlers Danlos. It's very painful I hear.

I have OA in my knees so I'm afraid I dont have any answers or advice for you but I wanted to reply n offer best wishes & a hug (((U)))

The swelling could possibly be tissue swelling tho I suppose? Best of luck with all of your treatments.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hope you get your knees sorted. I don't really have any answers but my left ankle is 4 cm bigger then my right, which it never used to me and everytime they scan me etc, they say its fine as in nothing easy to see.

They think its down to the amount of surgery I've had on that side. They say its the type of swelling which gets worse with anti inflames and the only thing that could help is stockings for that side.

I would get made to message stocking from your GP, I picked up 3 for my left yesterday and the stocking has really helped with my ankle already.

Maybe it would help with your knees?