Anyone had similar experience?! Psoriatic arthritis.

Options
ali87uk
ali87uk Member Posts: 17
edited 23. Apr 2013, 12:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I'm 25, and it took 2 and half years of random back and front pain to be diagnosed with psoriatic spondylitis... even though I don't really have psoriasis and was once told may have it on my scalp but has cleared up now.
I am HLA B27 positive, and have pain mainly in sacro-iliac joint on right. I have read an injury can trigger it, with me it all started after pushing patients on trolleys (I work in a hospital).

I am on depomedrone injections, take amytriptaline every night (10mg). But I have occasional flare ups, such as this weekend.

I just wondered if anyone had had similar experiences and how they cope with it, what helps etc?

Thanks in advance x

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Ali

Are you on any DMARDs? Sulphazalazine, methotrexate (MTX), etc??

Just wondering as most with PsA on here are to control most of the disease....
  • ali87uk
    ali87uk Member Posts: 17
    Options
    No nothing like that at the moment, we were going to see how steroid jabs went as diagnosed last October x
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I had my PsA diagnosis around the age of 36/7. I was put on methotrexate & Sulfasalazine the same day that the Rheumatologist gave me the diagnosis.

I would have expected you to be put on a anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen & maybe even just paracetamol depending on how bad your breakthrough pain is!!

Have you ever tried using a TENS machine for back pain? I find it quite helpful.

Good luck & please keep us posted :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Mine's RA, not PsA, but the treatment is usually more or less the same and, like the others, I'm a bit surprised that you are only being given injections. Has your rheumatologist not offered a DMARD such as methotrexate or sulphasalazine? Maybe you need to ask for another appointment.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I began with left knee trouble in April 1997, aged 38. It was ignored by my then GP for some years but, after trip to my local footie club physios (who referred me to orthopaedics in late 2000) by January 2002 it was decided that I had some form of inflammatory complaint and maybe sulphasalazine would help (it didn't). I tried a fair few other drugs (which also made little difference because it continued to spread and worsen) then in October 2007 my skin obliged with a bout of psoriasis. Kerching.

It is possible to have PsA without too much of the P part (the sulph does control that in my case) but I am also on other meds and have been for some time. I am convinced that if I had been offered the meds earlier I wouldn't be in the pickle I currently am. Ask for information about the DMARDS so you don't end up like me. (disease modifying anti rheumatic drugs) I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Sounds like u need a second opinion/ advice, have a read up online regards current treatment guidelines for nearly diagnosed PsA at least u will have the info for the consultant then, I have ra but from the posts on here most with PsA will be on a dmard the last thing u need is damage to ur body because they left u longer for treatment.