got my date for THR!!!

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 25. Apr 2013, 07:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have spoken to the admissions clerk, and I have my date for next Monday!! Eek!! I was expecting her to say 20th May, but she said 29th April. She said management had ordered her to cancel some from next week , so I wonder if I mentioned waiting list rules etc..??
I am feeling nervous and excited at the same time now. I need to get organised at home. Sort my hospital bag. Make arrangements for my children to be kept an eye on etc...Wow, my mind is racing!!!
I am sure I will need someone to hold my hand please!
NB

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I recognise the feeling, NB, but at least you don't have long to feel it :) I predict you'll have so many people holding your hand you'll need a few extra hands to go round :lol: I hope yours is as good as mine - can't wish you better than that.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    Good Luck, hope it goes well. :)
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi NB

My goodness that's just in a week's time? Well at least you don't have time to worry about it...I am sure you will be excited and nervous at the same time but Wrightington is good...You will be on Ward D to begin with which is an admittance ward then onto ward 5...My fellow swimmer is going in this thursday for kneecap replacement surgery so would have said to look out for her but she will hopefully be discharged before you...
    Take things such as if you have an ipod, or walkman if you are old school, mints, plain biscuits and mobile phones are fine to use in their as you can plug them in at your bed....It was dead cold too in October so take a warm item in case ward isnt over hot...

Good luck, if was nearer would visit...

Elainexx
    Hi
    I have spoken to the admissions clerk, and I have my date for next Monday!! Eek!! I was expecting her to say 20th May, but she said 29th April. She said management had ordered her to cancel some from next week , so I wonder if I mentioned waiting list rules etc..??
    I am feeling nervous and excited at the same time now. I need to get organised at home. Sort my hospital bag. Make arrangements for my children to be kept an eye on etc...Wow, my mind is racing!!!
    I am sure I will need someone to hold my hand please!
    NB
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi and thank you for your good wishes xx
    Sticky, I will keep my fingers crossed that my new hip will be as good as yours!
    Elaine, I found it cold at Wrightington too! Especially the corridors when being wheeled about. I have my Kindle, Ipod, phone, (plus all relevant chargers!) Although last time I couldn`t concentrate on anything and just spent my time sleeping and chatting to nearby patients.
    I have booked a haircut, (and colour to hid the grey!!), my friend has invited me out for lunch on Friday, and I had already asked some friends to stay on Saturday. She has texted me to ask if I want to cancel, but I have said I still want them to come. It will keep me busy and I will have sorted everything before the weekend anyway. I have an appointment at the hospital on Wednesday, a teaching/information session with OT.
    Thanks again
    NB
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi NB

Well it was winter when I had my operation but I took in my old dressing gown which was fluffy and warm. I also took in a hoodie with a sort of fluffy hood and another patient who assumed the wards would be warm had to borrow it to get warmed up...One night on Ward d we all put our jumpers on in bed and then got told off by the nurse as we all had temperatures, ha!!
    The teaching session is quite good think someone called Leanne will take it, she was great with me promising to see me on admission, right before operation and right afterwards, even changing my dressing next day...
    Yeah get your hair done and maybe take in some dry shampoo and some body spray to feel fresher when you cant have a right good wash (get to all the areas you want to) and feel half human....
    I really like the sense of togetherness in hospital, folk are lovely, sure you will find that too....Sorry im babbling its not your first time in the big W eh?

Elainexx

Hi and thank you for your good wishes xx
    Sticky, I will keep my fingers crossed that my new hip will be as good as yours!
    Elaine, I found it cold at Wrightington too! Especially the corridors when being wheeled about. I have my Kindle, Ipod, phone, (plus all relevant chargers!) Although last time I couldn`t concentrate on anything and just spent my time sleeping and chatting to nearby patients.
    I have booked a haircut, (and colour to hid the grey!!), my friend has invited me out for lunch on Friday, and I had already asked some friends to stay on Saturday. She has texted me to ask if I want to cancel, but I have said I still want them to come. It will keep me busy and I will have sorted everything before the weekend anyway. I have an appointment at the hospital on Wednesday, a teaching/information session with OT.
    Thanks again
    NB
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Thats great news NB, at least you haven't got too much time to dwell on things as you will be preoccupied on getting organised, I am sure there will be a lot there to hold your hand including mine, I am sure everything will go well.........tc..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Good luck you'll soon be telling us you're home. Mig
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Thanks Elaine,
    i didn`t get the teaching session last time, so will be interesting to see what they say. I might meet some of my fellow patients too?! I enjoyed talking to the other ladies on the ward, some had real stories to tell. Better than any book!
    I hope you are doing ok x
    NB
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Mig and Marie
    Thanks for your replies.
    Yes with just 1 week to go, not too much time to start fretting or worrying. I have things planned all week now! I will be busy with no time to think about it. I will need a few days in hospital to rest :wink:
    I have told my son, who looked a bit concerned , bless him :roll: He is a good lad, and will help me out when I ask. I haven`t seen my daughter yet as she is at dance class. But she is going to busy with revision for her GCSE`s.
    Thanks again
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello NB
    That is good news.... :o Monday...blimey like the others have said you wont have to long to worry...I will be with you all the way...nearly in the next bed he has put me on the list today...and said to pick which hip I want doing first :shock: I said toss a coin....
    I am so pleased your pain will be nearly over with ((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks Barbara, tell your man you will take a cancellation too and I will reserve you the next bed!! I am glad that you will be getting on the road to being without the awful hip pain too :D
    NB
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    NB

I doubt whether you will meet any fellow patients, I certainly didn't as my operation was within the next 10 days as I got it when I came back from holiday . Had my pre op the day before I went on holiday and session was waiting for me when I came back from hols, I also had to see anaesthetist too as have auto immune disease too PHEW! I felt quite out of place there as I was youngest, others were not scheduled for surgery for about 3 months or so, think mine was a cancellation..
    There is without a shadow of a doubt characters on the ward but one woman in the big ward wanted to watch TV past 11 at night and kicked up merry hell when the staff turned it off...Funny thing was she had a laptop (why?) and watched a film on it but fell asleep dead quickly...She were a dead spit for Lesley in Benidorm, the cross dresser played by Tim Healy, voice like a frigging foghorn!!
    Im doing better now thanks, knee settling down, letting me walk further and not as stiff...Travelling to scotland next month...

Elainexx
    Thanks Elaine,
    i didn`t get the teaching session last time, so will be interesting to see what they say. I might meet some of my fellow patients too?! I enjoyed talking to the other ladies on the ward, some had real stories to tell. Better than any book!
    I hope you are doing ok x
    NB
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    It sounds as though you're going to be far too busy to worry in the next week. That has to be a good thing.
    I hope all goes well for you.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi NB,
    Well a very busy week for you and it sounds as if you have everything covered. I have heard very good things about Wrightington too.
    Have a lovely lunch on Friday and I am sure you are doing the right thing about having your friends over on Saturday.
    Good Luck with it all,
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    That is good news! It is nice not to have ages to worry about it - just get it over with! I made me weekend before my op really busy this time and it helped loads. I still cried on the morning of the op - usual doubts, silly me - but I didn't spend the weekend fretting!

I really hope this new hip gives you a new lease of life. I'll be there to hold your hand.
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks Numpty, Ironic and Frogmella,
    I think my hip knows it is on it`s last days and is causing me awful pain this morning! I am going out with my Mum today to get last few bits to take into hospital and maybe a bit of lunch if I am up to it. My appetite has disappeared recently, which is not a bad thing for stopping me gaining weight whilst I am not so mobile :wink: .
    Frogmella, I had tears running down my face in the anaesthetic room last time, but not from doubts, just the normal nerves, and I am sure I will again next week.
    My daughter performs her GCSE drama piece next Wednesday night, and I will miss it, which I am sad about. I am going to try to make sure someone is there to watch her, maybe her Grandma, as Mr NB will probably be visiting me. The good thing about having it done sooner is that I will be a bit better by the time it is her Prom though! :D
    Thanks again x
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    NB I am sat here thinking about you...so I thought I would send you some calming hugs....and I know its upsetting not to be at your daughters drama piece...but just think of everything else you will be able to do with her ....I will be there...just imagine us all hiding under the bed.... :) here the hugs before I start rambling .... :lol:(((()))xx..tell you I will be picking your brain.. :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Barbara
    Thanks for your hugs, much needed at the moment. I am feeling a bit up and down nerves wise! I had my OT teaching session yesterday and as a result I have had to swap sides of the bed, so that my operated leg will be on the outer side of the bed. It was strange sleeping on the `wrong` side of the bed, but at least I didn`t fall out of bed :lol:
    My boss rang this morning to wish me luck. Which was nice. I have had texts from a few of my colleagues too. It helps to know people are thinking of me.
    We went to get my daughter`s prom shoes and bag yesterday, whilst I had Mr NB on hand to chauffeur us. I am so jealous of her gorgeous heels! Heels I will never be able to wear mind :wink: I am really looking forward to seeing her and her friends in the dresses.
    I am in a lot of pain again this morning, and in a wierd way am looking forward to the surgery. If you are going to be hiding under the bed Barbara, please no making me jump!! :lol:
    Thanks again, and I hope you are ok xx
    NB
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    NB

If you are calmer approaching surgery it means you are ready for it. I was like that before mine last year just wanted it over and done with, okay I bubbled like a baby in aneasthesia room but what the heck!
    You can still get lovely shoes and you will have many times to wow them with your new mobility skills...Its great your work is so supportive, that must mean a lot....

Not long now...

Elainexx
    Hi Barbara
    Thanks for your hugs, much needed at the moment. I am feeling a bit up and down nerves wise! I had my OT teaching session yesterday and as a result I have had to swap sides of the bed, so that my operated leg will be on the outer side of the bed. It was strange sleeping on the `wrong` side of the bed, but at least I didn`t fall out of bed :lol:
    My boss rang this morning to wish me luck. Which was nice. I have had texts from a few of my colleagues too. It helps to know people are thinking of me.
    We went to get my daughter`s prom shoes and bag yesterday, whilst I had Mr NB on hand to chauffeur us. I am so jealous of her gorgeous heels! Heels I will never be able to wear mind :wink: I am really looking forward to seeing her and her friends in the dresses.
    I am in a lot of pain again this morning, and in a wierd way am looking forward to the surgery. If you are going to be hiding under the bed Barbara, please no making me jump!! :lol:
    Thanks again, and I hope you are ok xx
    NB
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Elaine,
    I`m not sure if I am calm, just accepting of the inevitable maybe? I had a phone call form the hospital just now, and I was scared they were cancelling. But they were just checking all still good health wise for Monday. I have to ring tomorrow to get my instructions about fasting etc..
    I have also just found out i have a wedding to go to in September so you never know I may be up to a new pair of shoes for then. I am really chuffed as I have just tried on a dress I last wore at my cousins wedding, and it not only fits, it is loose and the really good thing is it is a size 12!!!! :D:D:D
    I might wear it inside out to show off the label :lol: I have gone down 4 dress sizes since last October. I need to firm up the flabby/wobbly bits but will work on that when my hew hip is up to a bit of exercise.
    My leg from hip to toe is in pain and I have just taken some more Oromorph to try to ease it. My lumbar spine is also bad, I hope the bulging discs improve when both hips are in a normal position, for once in my life!
    Thanks again x
    NB
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi NB

Yes it is accepting it isn't it? Like I said I was really nervous till pre op and I got the date of 25 Oct, the next day i was on me hols for 10 days then 3 weeks later was in for op...I just felt so calm but then the day before the op i called the ward manager saying I had a sore throat...I was hoping they would cancel, it was nerves and my family would have killed me if had cancelled....I didn't and im glad...The ward manager when we all saw him in hospital we thought he was just a healthcare assistant, he was just down to earth and a nice guy....
    Wow get you dropping 4 dress sizes! A size 12! Well i can dream, id be happy to be size 16 meself but well done you! The flabby bits we all have them and as soon as you feel up to it then that will be fine to do a wee workout....You can maybe do a couple slow dances at the wedding, no jigs okay! Flash that label girl!
    Sorry you are in so much pain today but just think that will improve soon!

Elainexx

Hi Elaine,
    I`m not sure if I am calm, just accepting of the inevitable maybe? I had a phone call form the hospital just now, and I was scared they were cancelling. But they were just checking all still good health wise for Monday. I have to ring tomorrow to get my instructions about fasting etc..
    I have also just found out i have a wedding to go to in September so you never know I may be up to a new pair of shoes for then. I am really chuffed as I have just tried on a dress I last wore at my cousins wedding, and it not only fits, it is loose and the really good thing is it is a size 12!!!! :D:D:D
    I might wear it inside out to show off the label :lol: I have gone down 4 dress sizes since last October. I need to firm up the flabby/wobbly bits but will work on that when my hew hip is up to a bit of exercise.
    My leg from hip to toe is in pain and I have just taken some more Oromorph to try to ease it. My lumbar spine is also bad, I hope the bulging discs improve when both hips are in a normal position, for once in my life!
    Thanks again x
    NB