Appointment update

Options
joon51
joon51 Member Posts: 221
edited 24. Apr 2013, 01:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Been to see the rheumy doc today have got alot to think over. He seems to think I might have something else going on other than ra. At the moment I inject 20mg mtx take 2x200mg planquil and have been feeling that it is not working as good as what it was, he has given me several options

1. To drop mtx

2. Add leum forgotten what it is

3. Stop everything and see what happens, I am off on my hols in 3 weeks time so not a option at the mo.

4. Have a short time on steroids and if I feel better on them he said it would confirm I had inflammation .

Also he is arranging for me to have a scan on my joints to see if that shows up anything. If I decide to go on the steroids not to start them until I have had the scan. I will be seeing him again on the 1st of July to see where we go from here.

Hope you are all as well as we can be

Take Care June xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    :o That is a lot to think about, June. Did he suggest any preferences? I hope whatever route you decide to take leads to something conclusive. Meanwhile, try to put it behind you and enjoy the holiday.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    I'm sorry uve been left so confused, it's very frustrating wen they throw so many things at us & say you decide!! Well we aren't the experts on arthritis but we ARE experts on our own bodies, how they're coping & wot level of pain we're in etc So my advise would be to try & think along those lines!!

If he's no longer sure it's RA did he say wot else he's thinking it could be? Also why he'd put you on methotrexate, which is a serious drug after all, if he wasn't sure wot you had I really don't know!!

I wish you well with ure decision & try not to get overly stressed by it all coz you'll wana enjoy ure holiday :D

Take care.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Another possibility could be this; that the meth and planq are no longer enough to control your RA hence the idea of adding more meds. I think it's likely that the med he suggested adding was leflunomide (I know someone who takes meth and lef and is getting on OK). It didn't do much for me but it does work for others. Stay as you are, especially as you are soon going away, rest a little more if possible so that your body gets more 'recovery' time and hopefully you will feel better able to tackle this after your break. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello June
    you do have a lot to think about...I am sorry I cant offer any advice, but I do hope you get some proper answers very soon...and wish you well with whatever you decide...((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Interestingly when I saw my rheumy last sept he sort of suggested that to me too, I had been v well controlled on mtx for 8 years then had a baby and all hell has broken loose
    , I do find an IM steroid helps but doesn't completely get rid off my pain. Not q sure why he decided it might not be ra after 9 years!!!! Think he just didn't know what else to do with me at the time as my inflam markers are always q low crp 25 at its height and I am virtually bed bound then. I think they forget that we're all different sometimes and get a bit itchy if we don't fit into their perfect diagnosis/ treatment box!!
    As said they should also offer the option of other drugs with mtx I added sulphasalazine as not suitable for the leflunamide. Cant say it helped much and I got v depressed on it so stopped pretty quickly. Next step biologics i think- have appt Thurs!
    OMG I think suggesting u just stop is a bit crazy, when I stopped to conceive wow was I sore had to have more steroid injections just to keep moving.
    I would def not do that unless it is essential as even when u feel its not working it may be helping a bit, not til ur off it totally u realise though! Also they should really offer an alternate diagnosis if they're going to justify changing ur treatment dramatically, there are loads of people who stop responding to drugs doesn't mean they r all diagnosed wrong surely!!
  • joon51
    joon51 Member Posts: 221
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. My rheumy always sends me a copy of the letter he sends to the gp to me as well normally here within 2 weeks, don't know if this happens to anyone else but after the appointment I thought did he really say that I went with list at the ready he threw me so much by what he was saying that my list stayed in bag not until I got in the car and I thought s**t. Once again a big thank you

Take Care June xx